how to connect wiring to sending unit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 12:28 PM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to connect wiring to sending unit

Hey all,

I know this is kind of a stupid question but, how do you connect the temperature sending unit wire to the temperature sending unit? I have a 350 chevy motor and i never had the connector. The sending unit has the button terminal on it, for use with a gauge. Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipfactor
Hey all,

I know this is kind of a stupid question but, how do you connect the temperature sending unit wire to the temperature sending unit? I have a 350 chevy motor and i never had the connector. The sending unit has the button terminal on it, for use with a gauge. Thanks all
Doc here,

ZIPFACTOR:

No such thing as a "Stupid Question" ... except for the one that comes out.."Now how did I manage to do this?"

The Temp Sender is simple..For GM SBC's It comes in two Flavors..

one has a Rubber Plug on top of the sender and two blade ~like Connectors on it..Later model type with (usually a temp reporting wire for the ECU) This is not what you described..

The other is a Single terminal unit that screws into the head or water neck or manifold , and uses the sender Body as a ground. The Top single terminal is "Rounded" and accepts a "Slide terminal" Just hook your sender wire to there, and your good to go!

If you don't have the terminal, or lost the stock clip, or it burned up and fell apart under heat, you can use a regular Slide Terminal from a crimp kit..Blue usually works, but red may be needed for a tighter fit.

The senders work Based on Resistance to ground from the gauge to sender...Depending on the system , as it gets hotter the sender heats a bimetallic strip that changes the resistance to the gauge..Ergo, the gauge go high or low..as it cools the strip changes direction and the gauge follows suit.

The important thing to remember here is , is the gauge matched to the resistance of the sender? If it's all stock , then your fine, If you have aftermarket Gauges, you may have to match the sender to the Q of the gauge circuit..

They come in 0 to 30, 0 to 60, 0 to 90..all the way up to 0 to 290 Ohms resistance..the gauge must match the resistance of the sender to be accurate or work at all..Check your instructions if aftermarket.

Doc
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 AM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thanks doc, appreciate the help as always!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.