Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to convert T-350C to a T-350

40K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  kirschland 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have an extra TH350C tranny with a transgo shift kit. Everything on it works great, shifts hard and well, but I think the converter is bad (feels locked always). The reason I have an extra tranny is I went to an Art Carr TH350 with a 3000 stall and man what a difference the converter made!

Thinking about putting the TH350C in my nephew's Chevelle, which has a TH350 (non C) in it that needs a rebuild. I haven't been using the lock up feature (disconnected) and neither will he.

Does running the TH350C without the wires connected hurt anything?

Should I just have him buy a new converter (for the TH350C) and run it, or should we convert the TH350C to non-lockup?

If we should convert it, can I safely use the parts needed (and please tell me what they are) from his tranny? (And where the heck would I find instructions)

It would be nice to put any converter in we'd like (mild performance car) but the kid is watching his $$$$ so he wants the most bang for his little bucks.

Thanks Gang!

See less See more
#2 ·
lock-up

It's been a few years since i played with the lock-up trans but i know that its not really an easy deal to change one to a non lock up. you would be futher ahead to just rebuild his non lock up trans.

I know the b&m kits are different for the lock up trans and i think the trans go are also so you probably will even need a new shift kit.

Keith

#3 ·
The lock up transmission/converter would be better, no slipping and a direct input to the trans instead of losing it churning the fluid. Just go to advance auto or some other place and buy a new lock-up converter for your 350. Should be below $200.00

I'm sure alot of opinions will differ with this one because alot of people here dont like lock-up converters, I still dont understand why they dont?

#4 ·
You need a non lock up pump & stator ( pump cover) & input shaft to convert the 350C to non lock up.

You need to drill a hole( correct location) for drain back in the stator( pump cover) or it willl blow the front converter seal out

You need to block the lock up valve in the lockup valve body.

You need to plug the hole in the lock up valve body where the solenoid bolts on.

You need to plug the case connector hole with a 7/8 plug after removing the plastic connector.

The lock up clutch in the 350C converter is a weak design. the 350C lock up system can malfunction and the converter clutch can apply in all gears....... stalling the engine when you put the tranny into gear while the vehicle is stopped.

your choice on what to do, I'd rebuild the non lock up tranny.....

just my $.05 comment.

#8 ·
65 streeter said:
Okay, good stuff here.

Now can anyone answer the question as to whether one can run the TH350C with out the wiring hooked up? ... will it hurt the trans? ... does the converter ever lock up if it is disconnected?

Thanks gang,

yes, never seen over-heating

no

no, only if the solenoid clogs up , then the converter clutch will apply

#9 ·
Good, I've ran this one for several years without the wiring hooked, but never felt 100% sure I wasn't hurting the thing.

Just because I'm wondering... Do you think there is a loss of power while cruising in a TH350C without hooking up the wire because the converter never really locks up... or does it? On a regular TH350 the converter locks up at a certain RPM right?

Thanks!

#10 ·
TH350 will not lock at RPM

No, a TH350 will never lock up at a certain RPM. The torque converter is a hydraulic coupling, in the late 70s they introduced a clutch to engage while you are cruising at highway speeds, that way you dont waste fuel. I like lock up converters, but they are weaker because of the input shaft design. Street cars shouldnt have a problem with a lock up TH350.

#11 ·
Drain back on the stator

Thanks for the information, my TH350 case is shot and I have a HT350C on hand. Can you provide more guidance on were to drill the hole for the drain back in the stator?

Thanks,
Wayne

Crosley said:
You need a non lock up pump & stator ( pump cover) & input shaft to convert the 350C to non lock up.

You need to drill a hole( correct location) for drain back in the stator( pump cover) or it willl blow the front converter seal out

You need to block the lock up valve in the lockup valve body.

You need to plug the hole in the lock up valve body where the solenoid bolts on.

You need to plug the case connector hole with a 7/8 plug after removing the plastic connector.

The lock up clutch in the 350C converter is a weak design. the 350C lock up system can malfunction and the converter clutch can apply in all gears....... stalling the engine when you put the tranny into gear while the vehicle is stopped.

your choice on what to do, I'd rebuild the non lock up tranny.....

just my $.05 comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.