Hot Rod Forum banner

How to cover these door pods?

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  dbinnc 
#1 ·
Ok, I tried to cover this, first time doing something like this.

It looks ok, but if you look underneath I had to cut out the ripples and patch together. How do I cover this so as to not get an ripples, folds, creases or anything? I get so frustrated. :smash:
I have another one to do and also would like to redo this one.

Thanks,
Derek

See less See more
#2 ·
What did you use to glue the fabric down with? You need to do this in stages, not all at once. Basically, you need to start at the large and small speaker openings. Attach the fabric to the pod 1" completely around the perimeter of the large opening and up to the small speaker opening with High Heat Resistant contact adhesive. Don't cut out the openings until you are done. Once that is solid and the glue is dry, you can pull the rest of the fabric out and away from that point. The low spots you will have to glue to hold the fabric in place, but the rest doesn't have to be glued on the front, just on the back. If you can staple into the back side, that would be easier than gluing.

#4 ·
3-M 90 (super trim adhesive) is fine, but don't use 77 or 74, they will not work, cuz they're not high temp adhesives.

Yes, if you do it like I said, you should be able to get it smooth. It looks like the fabric is some kind of imitation suede. Does it stretch? If not, it will not be as easy to get the wrinkles out, but it still can be done.

#6 ·
Be careful with the tweed that you don't spray too much glue on it, or it can soak through. Stay back 12" when you're spraying.
Performance spray glue has 3 different spray patterns. Use no more than the medium pattern. Good luck.

#8 ·
Pull the fabric as hard as you can side to side in both directions and staple it or glue it on the back of the pod. Then you can pull the fabric top to bottom. You need to pull it as tight as you can get it, and you should be able to pull out all the wrinkles.

#9 ·
well, finally got'er done. The part below the big speaker hole was the worst. I pulled and pulled and just when I thought I couldn't pull anymore, I pulled some more. My thumbs were sore. It didn't come out 100% but maybe 99%. I even got brave and used some volara for the GM symbol. :thumbup:

Dan, I can't thank you enough. There is just no decent info on the web for auto upholstery like there is for everything else. I read a post that said you were leaving, sure glad u didn't. :thumbup:

Attachments

#13 ·
dbinnc said:
one more question. On my existing covered one, can I cover over it or should I remove the old fabric first?
Congratulations! You could go over it if the fabric is thin enough, but you take the risk of it looking different than the other one. I would remove the old fabric first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.