how to cross brace a 59 apache? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Last journal entry: Dateline Dec. 2004
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to cross brace a 59 apache?

Hey all... Getting along with work on my cab. Placed the cab back on the frame to aid in holding proper shape. Working on the passenger side, toe board is out and I'm working towards replacing much of the lower front door pillar.

Is there a standard bracing setup for cabs, that uses minimal bracing but gives good rigidity. Like a certain Z pattern or something. I realize I'm trying to prevent downward movement of the cab, but also don't want to end up with any twist that rears its' ugly head later.

I plan on using half inch square tube.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
There is one thing that worries me about your plan, IS IT IN ALIGNMENT? Is the cab bolted down on the body mounts with the door fit when this cross bracing is welded in? THAT is the reason you want to weld in the cross braces, to KEEP IT IN ALIGNMENT. If you START OUT with the cab kittywampas and weld up some braces and then repair the floor and door jamb it will permanetly be kittywampas.

So be sure your cab is all aligned and bolted down to the frame that is on level jackstands OR on it's wheels prior to welding in any braces.

On the braces, are they even needed. Unless you are really cutting out some structure, (and the toe boards, aren't "structure") there is no reason to cross brace it anyway. If the cab is bolted down to the frame and you fit the door now and then during any repairs there is no big deal.

If you do weld in cross braces, BE SURE you can bolt the door on and trial fit it. If you can't, you really are playing with fire.

Brian
Old 03-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Last journal entry: Dateline Dec. 2004
Last photo:

cab sheet metal repair

Thanks for chiming in...
The passenger side toe board is out. Then I discovered that the lower inner and lower outer cowl and the lower door hinge needed to be addressed. Each part sort of lead to the next part of exposure of rust thru. Once I cut thru the lower pillar, the front passenger side of the cab will be unsupported in that corner. Considering that the driver side toe board is also compromised, I think that has a potential for transferring weight downward. I just want to maintain a margin of structural integrity that may or may not be an issue as you say, but if it does sag I will be correcting that along with my original goal of replacing the toe board, inner/outer lower cowl & lower door hinge.

thanks again for your help.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Bill, that much rot, I would say cross brace it, you just can't go wrong. Just tack weld half inch tubing across the door opening from corner to corner in an "X". But be sure the door fits well before you weld anything in. You could hang the door, be sure it fits well, weld in the braces THEN remove the door. Do your repairs and hand the door again being sure everything is still cool, then remove the braces.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.