Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to deal with this windshield channel rot
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
It just looks way save-able rather then a whole roof...

A sway in the vote would be if those are those rust bubbles out toward the center?

Even a soak with *Rustmort then a grind and some fiberglass would have a good 15 year shot
I'm with you,I'd save it.but over here it wouldnt last two years,I can shape new metal on the stretcher/shrinker in a couple hrs all the way around plus about 6 hrs of cutting and welding but Ive done a lot of them,it might take 30hrs for someone that can weld a little but never did one..you would definetly have to enjoy doing it and be patient to be successful...Determined and stubburnd are also helpful qualities to have..If not a new after market roof assembly or skin might be best for some guys
You can get a stretcher/shrinker for around 200.00 and it'll be like getting your first welder,it'll open up a whole new world to you.
But first things first,,,you should strip the whole roof to see what kind off shape its in BEFORE you invest ANY time in repairs.it could be perfect or it could be loaded with bondo or even rust holes plugged up with bondo,you just never know.I've seen some very surprizing stuff after stripping off the paint...