How did this happen? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
1965 Impala SS Convertible

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How did this happen?

I finally found out why my 65 Impala wasnt starting.The timing was way off.How did this happen if the distributor didnt move?I had to turn the distributor clockwise until I got the car running.The car is running great now but the distributor is turned allmost backwards.Tha vaccum advance is facing the firewall now.What caused this and how can I fix it?I was thinking maybe the timing chain jumped a tooth on the cam gear or the crank gear?Is that possible?Any help is appreciated.Thanks,

Eazy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

If the chain jumped a tooth you wouldn't be running great. Sounds like the distributor gear pin sheared off. If so it will happen again.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

Ok once I replace the pin on the distributor gear,what do I have to do to get the distributor to face the correct way instead of backwards like it is now?Also,do I have to go to an auto parts store to get the pin?Is it a special pin?Thanks,

Eazy
Old 10-11-2005, 10:05 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

Yes, get the proper pin or it will fall out.

With all plugs removed. Insert plug #1. Turn motor over until it starts getting hard to turn. You are coming up on #1 compression. Bring timing marks around to 10 degrees advanced. Insert all the plugs.

With distributor out and cap on. Make a mark on the dist body below the plug pin that you want to use as #1. Remove the cap. Insert distributor in motor with rotor pointing as close to the #1 position as you can. If it doesn't drop right in, you may have to turn oil pump shaft with a screw driver. Once dist is in place. Line up mark on dist body with rotor. Tighten dist clamp. You are now set at 10 degrees advanced.

Put cap on dist. Put #1 plug wire on the marked cap pin. Insert rest of the wires in clock wise direction following firing order. 18346572. Start motor. Slight adj to timing may be req'd.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Dizzy

Doc here,

If the dizzy is that worn, time to get a new one, probably has shaft to cast wear, and most likely up and down play too..in addition to the diagonal cut gears may be worn and sloppy...

If you read the post I put up on timing your vehicle (on the many you have put up on this problem...) you would see how to do it, AND that the Stock location of #1 plug tower is between the 5 O'clock and 7 O"clock location..and how to get it there..you can do a search and pull it up..that was a while ago...Back when you thought you had weak spark..

BTW, We usually keep all the postings in one thread to maintain continuity of the problem , instead of daily single posts in Different forums..(read the Forum Guidelines) This is so you can get the best answer from ALL the information you post(s) and description of the problem that can be read simply by scrolling back...so you /we don't duplicate answers, and you don't buy parts you don't need..Or get information that starts right back at square one again...and you end up chasing your tail...

Doc
Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Would I have to order a new dizzy or would the partts store have it in stock?Also,is it easy to remove and replace?Sorry about making a new post for this.It is a seperate problem so I thought I would start fresh with a new post so I can get an answer on how to fix this 1 problem.Thanks,

Eazy
Old 10-11-2005, 10:57 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

did you pull the distributor when you replacesd the module and rotor???
Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

No I didnt.The last time the distributor was out was when I put this one in and took the old one out
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

ok just making sure.

to be on the safe side... when you pull the old dist. out to check it.. keep an eye out for unusual wear on the gear, and if you can, stick your head over the hole with a flashlight and check the gear on the cam shaft too. just to make sure you didnt strip a tooth off or something.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:11 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

Mallory, Accel, and MSD all make good aftermarket distributors. My preference is MSD but they are the most expensive. The instructions I posted above will work to install a new distributor.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

So you are saying I should replace the whole distributor?Doc said to replace the dizzy and the gear pin.I just bought this distibutor for 120$ about a year ago.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

The dizzy is the distributor. A year old, it should be under warranty. Take it out and make sure the gear pin is the problem.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

So if it is not the pin then I should just buy a new distributor?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyDuzIt102
Would I have to order a new dizzy or would the partts store have it in stock?Also,is it easy to remove and replace?Sorry about making a new post for this.It is a seperate problem so I thought I would start fresh with a new post so I can get an answer on how to fix this 1 problem.Thanks,

Eazy

Doc here,
No problem, just try and keep it all in one thread now...you'll get better answers..

You can get a stock HEI from just about any autoparts store..

Did this problem occur when after you pulled the dizzy, and installed the HEI or did it run for awhile then have a problem..? If the former, you probably installed it timed wrong...If the latter, something mechanical has changed..

First line of defense is re-time it, and see if it moves again..and if you are using one of these "cheesy" chrome hold downs, toss it , and get a stock..the chrome ones slip...

Check your static timing..

Installing the dizzy,

Set it to #1 TDC, Timing marks lined up, both valves closed (no tension on rockers) Rotor pointing to #1 plug tower..

Drop the dizzy in with the rotor pointed to 5 to 7 O'clock (and check to see you have room for advance/retard movement on the Vac Advance can without hitting anything)

As you set the dizzy in you will note that The rotor will turn about a tower in a half on the cap as it seats into the block, this is because the gears are diagonal cut..

BE sure you offset the rotor BACK an equal amount of that movement so that when seated it will be on the chosen #1 spot..Then rewire the dizzy Cap to match the # 1 position....

FO:1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2..Direction of rotation is right..#1 plug tower is about 5 to 7 O'clock (In the stock location)

Start and run the vehicle,until full warm, choke wide open, set your static timing, with no Vacuum advance, and that line PLUGGED Curb idle at 750 RPM M/T..950 RPM A/T..to about 12 degrees...Where is the #1 location on the cap? About where you wanted it or 5 to 7 O'clock? and watch the marks with the light while it idles..Do the jump fourth and back? If they do you have some mechanical wear..

You can try the bone yard for another HEI , but if you do..Inspect it carefully, or you might end up with another bad one..(worn out) And transfer all your NEW parts over..On either ONE ... When I have to pull the gear/shaft I always install a new mag pickup in AS you have to pull it that far down to replace it when it goes out..so I usually renew it at that time.

Doc
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

I havent had the distributor or dizzy pulled out since I replaced the old one with the current one that is installed right now.The car had HEI when I bought it.I replaced the distributor a little over a year ago and that was the last time I had it out.The only parts that I have touched since the problem occured was the ignittion parts like the cap,module,coil and a wire that burned through from header heat.I never took out the actual distributor.Also,no I dont have a chrome hold down.I still have the stock hold down clamp on there.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.