How did it happen for you? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How did it happen for you?

Some folk are mad keen on fishing, others feel the same about sailing. Aircraft is serious stuff for many. And to millions of others, so too are trains, ships, birds, storms, plants, hunting, astrology, firearms, motorcycles, hot rods, and so on and so on . It is their passion, it's their "other life". They read up and they ask questions and they search for all the information they can consume. To many it is an obsession.
But, I ask you, how do these people become so involved with their chosen passion?
Where did they get this drive from?
Perhaps their parents before them had these same interests and as a child were brought up involved in that environment. Or maybe as a child you went to an event or a show and it left a special impression with you that has carried on through into adult life. Perhaps your buddies had an interest and you became associated through your circle of Friends.
For me , I am unsure. Trains don't do alot for me, looking through binoculars at a bird 50 ft up a tree doesn't excited me too much either, nor does astrology, but I am certain about one thing.

I sure know the look and the sweet sound of a cool looking HOTROD.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I can't remember a time when I wasn't car crazy which seems odd because my Dad was NOT a car guy in any way shape or form, at least not that I ever knew BUT my Mom tells me that my Grandfather, her Dad, who was a Presbyterian preacher was always fiddling with his old Model T Touring car to get a little more power out of it so he take the hills around his church in Eastern Iowa without downshifting. She also said her Maternal Grandfather was always tinkering with his car and was known for having a "heavy foot". Maybe it's in my blood?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

I'm not quite certain when exactly my "passion" for hotrods started I've always liked things mechanical which if course brought me into cars.
It wasn't until maybe a couple years ago that my true appreciation of muscle cars came around. I was walking through the annual car show in Frankenmouth Michigan near closing time. and an older car I don't know the exact year or model prolly early sixties not an impressive looker it was bland red it came idling by. at that very moment everything stopped all I could hear was the most magnificent melodious gurgling rumble which took in every part of my conciseness I couldn't help but to follow the sound like a helpless child. I followed that car until it exited the show and cruised off into the distance I stood there like a part of my soul had been torn out when I couldn't hear it anymore.
I still get a shiver down my spine whenever I think of the sound that engine made. That experience has brought inspiration towards my projects ever since then. For one day they might make the sound I heard so long ago...

My grandfather was the accidental car guy my dad convinced him to get a 67 GTO had dual Quads and a gas gauge that read like a toilet flushing
Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

All men love hot rods, but only a few pursue them.
Too many just sit on the couch and admire other peoples work.
We're in a very lazy do nothing generation.
I admire everyone on here for at least having a interest in something
and getting off the couch and doing something.
To many Americans (like my father) can't and won't do anything
other than watch TV. They're helpless.
I'm the only one here where I work (in a office of 200 people)
that will work on a car. They all thinks I'm crazy.
They're getting fat and old very fast sitting on the couch every night
in front of the boob tube,

OK, I'm done now, thank you very much.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
...Too many just sit on the couch and admire other peoples work...
Following up on your observation, jc, is the matter of money. One consistent question I get at car shows is, "how can you afford a car (truck) like that, I'd never have the time to build one or the cash to own one."

My answer is simple...I don't smoke and I don't spend any time on a bar stool. A moderate to heavy drinker/smoker will spend the equivalent of a nice hot rod every 2-3 years on just those two habits...and have absolutely nothing to show for it except possibly lung cancer and a bunch of dead brain cells.

So I'm with you jc. People CAN find the time and they CAN find the money, if they are truly dedicated to having that hot rod they've always dreamed of.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
My dad was a car salemen, one who loved cars. So by the time I was in my teens I had ridden in more cars than many here will in their entire life. It think it is somewhat in the blood. Uncles who I hardly knew raced midgets back in the thirties, my sister had a detail shop, my brother is a life long mechanic, a cousin has been in auto manufacturing in Detroit his whole life. My Godmothers son lived down the road from me and had hot rods in his driveway all my childhood years. My God, he had hot rods! I remember him driving us to the nearby school to shoot baskets in his fenderless A roadster (about 1966). I sat in front and my brother and a friend were in the trunk! I remember like it was yesterday those boys climbing out of the trunk and I could see the ground thru slats in the wood floor board!!!!

Anyway, I LOVE anything that moves human beings. I don't care if it is a plane (any kind) a train, a tractor, a Segway, a bike, motorcycle, I don't care what. If it is an enteresting version, I will walk over to check it out.

It think it is that "Power" think Tim Allen talks about. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Brian
Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
People CAN find the time and they CAN find the money, if they are truly dedicated to having that hot rod they've always dreamed of.
It's just a matter of priorities
If you look at how most people spend their money, the problem is not
the lack of it, it's how they spend it.
One new car will cost more than all my shop toys and my "project car"
put together.
Only difference is, 10 yrs from now I'll still have all my shop toys (tools)
and they will have paid for themselves many times over.
The new car, well, hopefully it may at least still run,
never mind the higher taxes and insurance costs.
(Everything in my garage and wood shop has been paid for by my customers.)
It's all been self-supporting.

Bottom line: You just have to have the desire, the passion,
the dedication to stick with it.
That's what's missing in the guys I know. No ambition, at least none
that lasts. No one wants to do it theirself anymore.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
Bottom line: You just have to have the desire, the passion,
the dedication to stick with it.
That's what's missing in the guys I know. No ambition, at least none
that lasts. No one wants to do it theirself anymore.
Aint that the truth! I've seen so many guys have cars that are 1/2 or 3/4 of the way done. ONe guy I knew owned a junk yard, went over to his house once and he opened the door to his barn. He had about 12, count them, 12 beater cars all with no hoods and nice motors in them. The rest of the cars were in various states of disarray...

I'd rather have one car that I finished than 5 cars that could be nice some day... but probably never will.

K
Old 06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
I was thinking about the "One single event" angle on this. You know what it was that really sent my blood flowing, American Graffitti! I saw it first run about 14 years old and came home, went out in the back yard and declared a 50 Dodge that was there (my brother had drug it home from a neighbors field) mine. The Pharohs Merc was in my dreams. I pulled the hood emblems off the Dodge and filled the holes with spot putty.

Soon my dad called the wreckers and had them haul it away. But that was my start, it wasn't long after I got my truck and took a hack saw to the top!

Brian

Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

Started when I was about 8 and my dad brought home a power lawn mower. My eyes spun around in my head. Then I had mini-bikes, motorcycles, rebuilt engine on first car in auto shop. Then became an aircraft mechanic and have since been happiest when tools are in my hands. Last weekend I was at my sisters and the carb I had been putting up with finally took a dump.
I ordered a new one overnight and had it running perfect the next day. They stood there in amazement that anyone would actually work on their own car. It's not just a hobby, it is truly a second love as my wife knows. Even my sons know you can pick up a decent oldie for far less than alot of the nondescript stuff running around out there today!
If I had a 10 car garage, I'd probably have 1 driver and 9 oldies. Like someone said earlier.........once you hear that rumble, there's no going back
Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

My dad ran his own repair shop in the 50's. He drove a 46-48 black chevy coupe with drawer-type cabinets in the trunk for his fishing gear. He would take customers cars home so I guess I started to notice the differences. There was a body shop on our residential street, and at age 5 or so, I took my first car picture there of a 37 chevy coupe ( with the box camera). I think I still have a pic of his coupe and one of the 37, too.

Once in a blue moon I got to go to his shop. An old wooden building and the big wood beam all around the inside of the shop had pictures nailed up of the "nekkid" ladies from calendars.....................soooooooo, I ended up liking looking at those too, as well as cars

I didn't know that one of my dads bro-in-laws was a semi-professional photographer in the 30s & 40s, until my cousin gave me a 8x10 framed photo of my dad standing next to a 37/38 chevy...with the hood opened and all the valve adjusting tools on the fender. Pic was from late 30s and she gave it to me for a Christmas gift a few years ago.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

The "moment" for me was when I was probably 8 or 9 years old and I walked out of the Holiday Ice Creme Shop in Sycamore, Illinois and saw a little model-A coupe parked out front. No fenders, no hood, chopped and channeled, red rims, wide whites, flat black paint and I remember peeking in the window and you could see pavement here and there through the floor. I was hooked.

On my meager allowance I started buying every car magazine I could find and building plastic models in my room at night to try to mimic what I saw in the magazines. By 11 I had built my first go kart, by 12 I was "customizing" my dad's 56 Chevy pickup, by 13 I bought my first motorcycle.

By 15 I bought my first car, a 55 plymouth.

By 16 I was building my first hot rod, a 57 Ford with Thunderbird engine.

By 17 I was well on my way to building my first street rod, a 23-T with a Buick nailhead.

And I just kept building them over the years until at the age of 60....I finished what feels like my zillionth hot rod...

And I don't have the slightest intention of stopping now. Who knows, one day some nine year old might just walk out of an ice creme shop and see one of my hot rods...and be hooked for life. Nothing would give me greater pleasure.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Know just enough 2B DANGEROUS!

It's always been there..

I remember the 74 Dart hypo that my dad had, also the 68 and 71 cameros. Ive had cameros, mustangs, and now my trans am. Just like to drive, it's in my heart and soul...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

That's cool that you took and saved all those photos cboy. I wish I'd done that with my past projects. It probably started for me at about 13 when my dad came home with a 65 GTO 421 with a 4 speed. He told me to hang my head out the window and watch the rear tire then, proceeded to boil the tires for what seemed like an eternity. You couldn't have taken the smile off my face with a shotgun... I was hooked.
Rebuilt my first engine in a Friends 70 cougar when I was 17. Probably didn't have a clue but he put over 80,000 miles on that 351 Windsor before he sold the car so, god was with me on that one...Hope he is with the current one too.

It's so rare to find kids that want to be hands on and build anything. Around here they by a $1500 beater and put $5000 worth of stereo equipment in it. Heck, most my first hot rods had no radios. At 18 I built a 68 cuda with a blown 392 hemi and the sound of that blower belt whizzing was all the music I needed.
My only regret is my father died when I was 16 so I didn't get to share my success and failure with him. He was a big Nash fan in the 50s so my rambler project will put a smile on his face, especially when I set the back rubber on fire
Old 06-08-2007, 01:52 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last photo:

I got started when I was 17.
Had an engine lock up and a neighbor tell me he would show me how
to rebuild it. Car repair was a hobby for him out of his home garage.
He's still the best mechanic I ever knew.

Boy was I fortunate to live by him.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.