How did you find your project? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 04:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How did you find your project?

New member in search of my new project, a 30's shop truck, I just want to start w/ the cab and build from there but having a hard time finding it, ebay, some online sites, newspaper, but having no luck. Should I just drive out to the country and start scoping backyards? I was curious how all you found your projects, or if anyone knows of a decent cab in the northwest thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Moving this to the general hotrodding forum for more replies.

I found my '53 pickup on a Yahoo auction. Found my 41 Chevy coupe at a museum. It had been used as a parts car for another restoration.

Centerline
Old 12-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most forums have a classified section.

This one has too........

click here..... http://hotrodders.com/hot-rods-for-sale.html

Hemmings Motor News also has a lot of projects for sale.....

My 32 roadster...I saw it at a show in 1969......took a few years before I got it......it was back in pieces and all I got was the bare body shell.

The 40 coupe.....got it from a friend of friend.....

If all this fails..go to some shows and cruises and talk to people..you might be surprised at what turns up....

GOOD LUCK

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 12-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Bought my '56 BelAir from a friend.

The '48 Chevy truck was found in a trader paper.

The '48 Suburban and '35 Master coupe was found on Ebay.

My suggestion would be to keep looking, set up Ebay to e-mail you when something you are looking for comes on line, purchase the local automotive traders and keep your eyes open when cruising around.

Much of the fun is in the hunt.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

My buddy and I found seven 46-48 Ford coupes in one year in Livingston county Michigan. It is one of the fastest growing counties in Mich. Read that, destroying all the farm land and building condo and subdivisions.

We just went around to all the old farms 9 most were being bought up)and inquired about the cars in and around the barns. The developers considered them a eyesore and we got several kinds of different old cars for just hauling them away. Mostly Mich. rust buckets, but we saved trim and other goodies (Ebay stuff) before sending them to the big junkyard.

I got my 42 Ford coupe from a swapper mag, the 41 Merc coupe from a field (next a major X-way)in Lake orion Mi. My 48 club coupe came from an old guy (friend of friend) in Lake Orion too.

My 40 Studie was a chicken coupe in Taylor, Mic. ( It cleaned up real well). My 50 Studie pickup was at an auction in Pontiac, Mich. ( it was the last outside item and everybody had left, I got it for $63.00 and drove it home). 60 Studie Lark coupe was an Auto Trader special. My 60 Lark Hdtp was Ebay, 71 Nova=Ebay.

The 36 Hudson Terraplane was at a small car show in Western Michigan. It had been driven the past fall and the owner couldn't get it to turn over in the spring (a critter had taken up residence in the engine). I got it for $700.00 nice car! My 28 Studie Victoria coupe was bought at an eviction sale. My 29 Essex coupe was bought at a swap and so was my 27 Dodge C-cab truck. Seems if it ain't Ford or Chevy no body around here wants it.

Got the body for my daughters 23"T" (old Bird body) by trading an old chain saw that I had bought at a garage sale the same week $10.00.

SO KEEP LOOKIN AND TALKIN,, Finding em is half the fun. They just don't magically appear. Now days ya gotta dig a bit..
Old 12-20-2004, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Hemmings Motor News is one of the best old car publications available. Thousands of adds every month.
Swap meets and shows will give you leads and friends that can pan out into something....but....I think the best way is to just talk to people. Locals, farmers etc. My cousin in Kent WA turned me on to a nutty old man (wore plastic bags on his shoes so his feet would not get wet through the holes in the soles) who had about 250 cars stashed on his overgrown property. These cars were just sitting inbetween trees and under lean to's and in barns and frig...just everywhere. It was like, hey look at that! Whoa wait...is that a?....I took photo's just to prove it. I have one shot that shows 7 1939 Packards all with their front ends chopped off at the fire wall sitting in a row. Everything else was complete. He had two super charged Grahms, a couple of 1921 Oaklands, most of a 1932 LaSalle, a 1918 Pierce Arrow (damn big car!) a Franklin steamer and I had my eye on a complete 33 Ford 5 window coupe. He was not quite ready to sell but I was trying to buy about 65 cars and was rounding up old barns near here to store em. I never followed through because the freight charges were too high for most of the basket cases......
So don't give up!.....there is a whole lot still out there but these old guys need a lot of time to feel they trust you enough to show you the "good stuff"..
I got my parts 57 Chevy out of the back of a gas station that was being torn down...$50 for a 2 Dr. Hdtop....and I got my 32 Buick out of another gas station that was being torn down for $1000. It was all there and fairly rust free. I got a Buick parts car out of an old barn that burned and was able to salvage about half the car...that one was $250......the hunt is the best part!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:57 PM

Thanks for all the help, looks like I'll be heading out to eastern Oregon for some shopping, I assumed as much. I got my first project at an auction (51 Studie) and second out of the paper (31 Model A 5 window) but staking out fields in the desert sounds like fun, maybe I can get some bird and varmint hunting in while I'm out there.

Elevinpointsixtoone-glad to see a Carson City resident on here, I grew there on Heidi Circle if you know where that is, where is this magical field of old iron you speak of? is there a 30's-40's clean truck cab sittin out there for cheap? I'd love a road trip to my old home town. Thanks again.

Keep coming with those responses.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

35 ford pu, 61 morris minor from and ad in the paper. 60 morris minor sedan and 60 morris woodie (with a daihatsu trimobile thrown in for free) on ebay. 70 VW, 11 dirtbikes, and a Honda 750 nighthawk word of mouth. Jeepster commando from my son. 89 Komfort RV at auction. 83 Winnebago from a friend for free (needs major roof repair). Those are my current personal projects, and everywhere I go I'm looking for cars and parts laying around but have never had any luck in purchasing them cuz their "gonna fix 'em up someday."
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

I just keep an open mind. I buy just about anything if the deal is good. I really want a 53 Customline but until I find the right one I just build what I find.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Hey Taco502....that funky field of dreams is about a half hour outside Kent WA. I didn't drive there but I could find the place on a map if need be. I remember that there was a very old tiny track layer style tractor hanging from an arch that went over the entry to the driveway off the main road. It was in hill country and all them cars were hidden in the trees, moss etc. If I can find the photo's I'll scan a couple and post them....it really was quite cool to see like 3 1961 Lincoln limmo's with the suicide doors just growing moss like some nulcear mistake.
I know where an old Mac Bulldog C cab with solid wheels is sitting with a bunch of irragation pipe on its bed if your interested. I wanted that one too but I just don't have time for all these "full restoration required" projects. Its sitting on a ranch down near Las Banos CA. Are ya partial to WWII Dodge Power Wagons? There are tons of those down in the valley also. The military just offed em real cheap after the war. The farmers loved them bacuse they could just plain beat the snot out of them and they were 4x4's.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:45 AM

Power wagons eh? does anybody rod these? All I'm interested in is the cab, they have pretty good lines

http://199.239.248.45/images/full/19...2/dg54pw01.jpg

but they look bigger than the average cab, I might try to track one down and take a look.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Ya I have always thought they looked pretty tough! A lot of the farmer used ones have the tops either chopped off or maybe they were military soft tops?
There is one farm that has 18 of em just lined up dying a slow death.
I think if you maybe placed an add stating "Old Power Wagons wanted" down in the San Jaquin Valley you would have your hands full!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:46 PM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

All our project rigs were found in Montana. Pop and i load up the Pete and hauler about once a year and head to Montana.... We found a gold mine, and cheap. our last trip we spent 3K and brought back 6 cars/trucks. We will make our next trip in july..
Old 12-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Because of all the farming here in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley (Fresno) there are a lot of trucks available. On a recently drive to Reedley and Dinuba areas I spotted dozens of trucks and plenty of old cars just sitting around with many still being used. COEs are still being used on the farms but not many for sale cuz the farmers know what they have. I know of half dozen COEs sitting along side highway 99 and I-5. A lot of post WW II chevy trucks sitting around and still in use. I know of 3 power wagons here in town that are daily drivers, and I went to Madera last year to look at a one but it needed too much. I forgot the model designation for the convertible but that is the cheapest and the most available. Lots of good power wagon sites on the net, just Goggle power wagon.
On my last trip to Texas I made it a point to search for old tin along the road, figuring the desert southwest was the place to look. Turns out that most of the old stuff I saw was right here in Californa. Out in the desert on old highway 58 west of Barstow was yard full of old trucks and 2 COEs parked right by the road! And the best part is a lot of this stuff here is rust free or with limited rust.
I have a 46 dodge power wagon pu, only problem is its a diecast 1/32 scale and sits on top of my computer screen.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:50 AM

Found my 71 vette in the local paper but was in the next state over, La. Was advertised original owner, good condition...etc. All true and a hell of a deal! Restored a lot of it so far.
67 camaro I found about the same way. very nice car but I'm adding my own changes...etc. Lots of fun!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.