How difficult?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How difficult??

Hello folks. I got a buddy wanting to get rid of a ford 9" rearend for nearly nothing. This will be going in a 85 swb gmc truck. I was wondering what all is involved in making a swap like this happen? I keep hearing about tapered axels and shortening and this and that, and have been reading on it but still dont know what all this means??? i want my truck to look like this one when it gets finished http://www.cars-on-line.com/13969.html with the large tires tucked in under the fenders. What would i have to do to achieve this look?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
drive it like you stole it!

Last journal entry: engine
Last photo:

no problem

If your going with a 4-link or ladder bar set up you will just need to make shure that the rear end is within 4 inches of the stock rear end width so it will fit under your truck. if your going with leaf springs you will just need to cut the spring mounts off your trucks rear end and weld them on the 9". if it will be a drag truck them i would make shure that your buddies rear end dousn't have 28 spline axles it will only hold at max 400HP.

if i were you i would look around a junk yard for a GM 14 Bolt rear end. you can find them in late 90's- early 2000's Chevy Z-71 and are redly available for cheap. did i mention there stronger then the strongest 9-Inch. plus then you keep it all chev. the 14 bolts Ring & pinion gear in only a tad smaller then a funny cars. on the down side there about 25 Pounds Heavier then the 9".

I also hear that th GM 8.5 10 bolt is about as strong as a 12 bolt and can be made "Bullit proof" for about 750 bucks, if your on a budget. the 9inch will cost you at least 1000 bucks to make it strong unless its already a 31 spline axle car. before you buy it count the axle splines.

get back to me to tell me what your plan is,

Ryan
Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 PM

Sorry for being late on the reply I have been out of town working for the last 2 weeks. I got a spare gm 12 bolt already with posi trac and everything. But i was told that wouldnt hold up to the 800 or so hp this supercharged 383 is supposed to be putting out.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I'm just curious about WHICH 14-bolt axle is being talked about, the 9.5 inch semi-floater, or the 10.5 inch full floater, I haven't yet seen the newer 11.5 inch so I am unsure about the cover bolt count.

They are all adequate for the power output, but with the cost involed to narrow might equal the total cost of a fabricated 9 inch when you are done.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.