Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how to do a $50 paintjob
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I actually seen another thread on that board talking about trem clad and cheap paint jobs and it was pages and pages long just like the john deer blitz black thread is on here. Basically shows alot of people look for a cheap way out when it comes to paint. Somewhat understandable with the prices of the good stuff today and I can maybe see it if it were a beater not worth sticking money into. Alls I can say is you get what you pay for. For a little more money you can shoot on a single stage with a hardener and have something you know will last awhile and is made for painting cars, even though it doesn't have the uv protection that a clearcoat on top will add. But if its something you care about and plan to keep awhile, and the paint job is the first thing you usually notice when you look at a car, why would you want to skimp on it or take any short cut on bodywork and prep? Also I don't trust the part about him saying you can just paint over the tremclad later on if you get it painted professionally. Ask a few of the professionals that make thier living fixing up old cars. If they care about thier reputation, I bet most normally take off all the old uncatalyzed enamels and lacquer based paint that were used years ago and won't risk painting or just sealing over it.

Last edited by kenseth17; 06-09-2006 at 09:55 PM.