how do approach interior metal rust? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how do approach interior metal rust?

this is the inside of my 74 soa nova

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

I can't see the pics, but if the metal is rusting on the inside, it's gonna rust through.

After grinding and treating with acid, I'll bet you find a few pinholes. Pinholes = the end of the road for metal.

After replacing the metal, you must find out how the moisture got back there in the first place, and rectify that situation.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

I like a wire brush on a drill for areas like that. A wheel style for large areas. A cup style for smaller areas. For hard to reach areas you can try steel wool/navel jelly. You can also knock off the loose stuff and apply POR15 or Rust Encapsulator or similar product of your choice. It took 30+ years to get that small amount of surface rust on it. With a little elbow grease and some POR15, it'll last a lot longer than you will.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

yeah ive heard great things about por 15 thank you all for info
Old 06-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

I'm not so sure about the rusting thru byu the looks of that. I'm no expert, but I had removed the headliner backer etc in my car and over time it had gotten rusted, kind of like the looks in the pics, but not bad at all really - no pits or deep rust, just a fuzz like from condensation on the roof. I was jus lookinn at it last night. On mine, I'm thinking about some of those 2-3" pads that are for cleaning, then epoxy. I know people have used POR15 but the more I read about it, the more I don't want to use it - never have. I think now, after having spoke with guys who swear by epoxy that it's just your best bet. Maybe one of those Pro guys will tell you what to do, and as importantly, what not to do.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

why dont you wanna use por 15 deez?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 AM

Last photo:

I think the question is: how clean are you going to be able to get the metal first? It's my understanding that epoxy (or any other basic paint) over any rust (surface rust, pits, etc) will fail with time. If you can't get rid of all the rust, I wouldn't cover it with epoxy. Similarly, I don't apply POR15 over pristine metal, that's not how it's supposed to be used. Fortunately, that area won't be exposed to much moisture so which ever way you go, it's not likely to cause much problem in the future. I've never had POR15 fail me when used appropriately but I don't like painting over rust. I'd get rid of whatever rust you can. Whatever you can't get (in seams, in tight corners etc) I'd dab on POR15 before it dries completely, mist the POR15 with a quality primer and topcoat everything with whatever product you want. To be honest, if you get the metal real clean, a spray can enamel should provide adequate protection in that area.

Last edited by Lhorn; 06-13-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

rustolium ????
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez
I'm not so sure about the rusting thru byu the looks of that.

Yeah, I couldn't see the pics and imagined it was something along the lines of what I usually see, which is ugly.

I would clean, wire wheel and sand, and POR-15 that. Use the acid, keep it wet, scub the acid with a small stainless steel bristle brush, then POR-15 it and forget about it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.