Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How To Do The Best Butt Weld ?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Amen to that.

schooner, I have tried it both ways for doing my butt welds and Milo and MartinSr turned me on to the "trim the new part down" and it worked perfect. What I did was get my new piece like I wanted to and then put it up against where I was going to be patching in and then scribed with a center punch all around my patch piece, leaving an outline on the piece to be cut out. Now when I went to cut out my piece I actually took of just a hair more because I started using those intergrip panel clamps they look like this:
. Once I got one or two in place I would make a few very small pentrating tac welds and then loosen up the panel clamps and remove them. Now If you asking what If I don't have access to the back. Well what I started doing was attaching a small piece of very playable wire to the little block piece and usually found some hole or location I could pull the block out through. I've done this quite a few times. Also on the cooling time between tack welds. I like Milo's ideal. tack a few then wait go back and tack so more. Once I had it all tacked in I would use a 36 grit roloc to first knock them down then go back and use an 80 or 100 to finish it off. Good Luck

MP