how do i check for a bad lifter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

how do i check for a bad lifter

i put a new top end on my sbc,its got about 2 hrs runtime on it, when the motor warmed up cyl #6 intake rocker ( I belive ) started ticking. i just adjusted valve lash again (cyl by cyl method), started it up and now its ticking right on start-up. i may have gotten the lash to loose but im thinking it may be a lifter? is there a way to check them with out pulling the manifold? i havent let the motor run long enough to let it really warm up to see if the noise goes away( i ran it 2-3 mins). i'm going to play with the rocker today with it running to see if it goes away.

edelbrock rpm heads, cam, lifters, +.100 pushrods, tricflow 1.50 roller rockers

also i noticed that the intake side of the rockers is just touching the valve cover just enough to take a little paint off of them. time for purdy new ones with a litte more clearance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sounds like you found the noise, a stethoscope helps zoom in on it, or putting a finger on the engine to "feel the tick". So I have a couple ideas.

If the rocker is touching the cover is that the tick versus the lifter?

You can try playing with the lash, if that changed the ticking once may very well be the cause, I'd tighten a bit, see what that does.

If it goes away after it you run it a while check out these things.

You said new top end. The lifter may not be or got the lube it needs. How is the oil pressure? Use "good" oil? MY favorite fix if a lifter ticks on a older small block until it warms up is to add a bottle of rislone at oil change, that is another story.

If it doesn't go away I'd look at the rocker arms. If they are good (I assume the lifters are new) check the lifter for defects maybe it has "flattened" out and needs replaced.

Good valve springs? Is a valve "dropping" I know a guy that had a horrible tick, the intake valve would just drop after compression, and be slammed shut by the explosion in the cylinder.

Lots of things can cause a tick. If the lifters are new, mechanically my suspect would be rockers at first, then the lashing. In the way of lubrication, I'd check the oil pressure, bad coverage will make them little babies noisy and chatter. In the way of feng shui, I may try adding some live plants and crystals to the garage.

This isn't really my area of expertise, but good luck on it.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks, oil pressure is in the middle of the gauge at idle ( yep factory "u-guess" gauge) so im assuming good pressure it goes up at least another 1/4 of the gauge when i rev it. oil is just 10-30 valveoline with crane break in supplement. yep new lifters, rockers, valve springs are new (whatever comes on the assembled heads). before startup i played with the oweji board, gave gifts to the car gods, and sacraficed a small geo, all for good luck! I guess it worked hasn't come apart.

If it does have a bad lifter and i run it, am i gonna send a rod into orbit?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've never heard a of a lifter harming a rod. . . (but some ole' timer on here may have more knowledge on this than me) Most of the time they are annoying if anything else for a long time. You just a horrible tick, that gets worse and worse until they stick, bind, or shut up.

If they affect the valves closing or start to stick you could have a world of problems on your hands. But if it just ticks I would't go nuts worrying over it (if it is just a lifter). If it is your intake valve lifter making the noise and it sticks you wont' get good compression, and you may get some nasty back feed of exhaust shoved back into your engine on the exhaust stroke. Which this may cook the valve and destroy the spring worse case scenario in my head.

Sounds like you have it all apart, or are in the position to be working on it. May be better to try and fix it new then a couple thousand miles on it and then go back in, I would try for now, but I like making my wife drive me places.

If you want to try a cheap solution, I'd drain the oil, put some new oil in (I'd still use cam break on a newer cam), I run 10-30 in the winter in 327 and other sbc's, and if I remember I use 10-40 in the summer, not 100% I run one or the other sometimes it is a crap shoot on what I grab, but change the oil to your prefered brand/weight and subsititute a quart of rislone. Or just drain a quart if it is newer oil and add rislone to your current set up. (hope I don't cause a war)

I have had two good experiences with rislone and ticking lifters. Had an old 305 that started to tick, and got worse and worse for six months, I finally broke down and changed the oil, that didn't fix it. An old man (always an old wise man) told me to use rislone. So I drained about a quart out three days after changing it and added rislone. In twenty miles or less of driving the tick went away, and stayed away with regular oil changes for the life of the engine (cam wear and 500,000+ miles killed it)

The other time was in a 302 a guy just built for a 80 something mustang (insert ford joke here) but he had just built this thing and two lifters, 3 and 7 (I think) made a horrible noise, he thought it might be his headers leaking for the longest time. After a few months I told him to try it, he added rislone to it and they stopped ticking.

I am not a big supporter of additives, I hate most of them, even MM oil . But I've had good luck with that. But that is the easy cheap route, may or may not fix it.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

The first thing I would do is get a flashlight on those lobes. Its possible you wiped one during startup. If you scratched through the hardened surface of the lobe, the meat of it is pretty soft.

If you're lucky, its just a collapsing lifter. Try doing an adjustment on that rocker while the engine is running. Back it off until it really ticks, then take it down to where it doesn't tick (0 lash), then go another (however many recemmended turns) in 1/4 turn increments. After each 1/4 turn you'll have to wait for the lifter to recover. Time how long it takes for the engine to smooth out after each 1/4 turn. If its a few seconds, you have a lifter that is bleeding down too fast. If it takes 20-30 seconds thats a little more appropriate.

Either way, if doing a running adjustment doesn't fix it, a call to Edelbrock may be in order.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM

hey can you hold my sign while i look up some new valve covers? yea this should be put in the "i awnsered my own question" forum. thanks for your ideas, #6 exhaust was the loose one, #8 intake was a tad jiggly, but for some reason when i started it with no cover on..........there was hardly no clatter, weellll except for the leaking collector but i knew that was there. so yea when i put the cover back on clatter, clatter, clatter. new fancy valve covers will soon be ordered, and just to make me feel a little better maybe a matching air cleaner. for some reason i like to overthink things, can you tell.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
The first thing I would do is get a flashlight on those lobes. Its possible you wiped one during startup. If you scratched through the hardened surface of the lobe, the meat of it is pretty soft.

If you're lucky, its just a collapsing lifter. Try doing an adjustment on that rocker while the engine is running. Back it off until it really ticks, then take it down to where it doesn't tick (0 lash), then go another (however many recemmended turns) in 1/4 turn increments. After each 1/4 turn you'll have to wait for the lifter to recover. Time how long it takes for the engine to smooth out after each 1/4 turn. If its a few seconds, you have a lifter that is bleeding down too fast. If it takes 20-30 seconds thats a little more appropriate.

Either way, if doing a running adjustment doesn't fix it, a call to Edelbrock may be in order.

I will try that if this didn't work, after driving it, think i got it, at least when its in park. im pretty sure the louder ticking was just the lash, and the clatter is the valve cover. thanks for the tip though!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 PM

how much oil should i see with the valve cover off. Where the rocker pivots was flooded with oil, but i was expecting oil to be all over the garage, me, and my truck. it wasn't flowing off the heads into the valley holes by any means, just a little less than expected (less river more of a trickle i guess). my factory press. gauge was normal, but i think i may go get one i can read today.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.