How do I determine the CID of Chevy Engines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2003, 07:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How do I determine the CID of Chevy Engines

I purchased an old Ford with a Chevy small block. I was told it was a 350. The engine has an edlebrock performer intake, with a Carter 4 bbl. I cannot find any casting numbers anywhere to identify the engine. I'm thinking this engine could be 302,305,307 or 350. The tranny appears to be a 350 based on the pan, but Im not sure about this either. Is there an easy way to identify this block without going inside? Not knowing is driving me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2003, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

If you look at the rear of the motor on the left side. the numbers should be there.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

block series can be determined by the numbers cast into the block on the drivers side belhousing area, between the filter area and the center of the block. this number can be cross checked with an AERA rebuilders book or several web sites (Mortec). This will tell you the orig bore size and casting dates,early 265-283-327's all have a round crank flange, can type oil filter, 302-327-350 are all 4" bore so you have to look for small differences in the rear counterweight where the flywheel bolts on, a 302(very rare) will have a round flange, a 327 has a ofset rectangular with very rounded corners type flange, a 350 will have an ofset rectangular with slightly rounded corners, unless you have a one piece rear main seal, then they are of course all round (no 302-327's were made).

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: BOBCRMAN@aol.com ]</p>
Old 03-03-2003, 06:08 PM

I located the numbers I needed. I'm in the process of running the numbers down to determine the cid and year. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

If you need a nother website this one has it all. http://www.nastyz28.com/spmenu.html this has the suffixes that state some about the power and application. note not all are listed but most are. If you search around a little bit you can find out where it was made and when. also if it is a 350 and it has a small square headed bolt at an angle below the manifold and above the timing chain cover its a 4 bolt main. good luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.