Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The assumption is brake HP unless RWHP is specified, at least to me. YMMV.

With me its always rear wheel horse power that pops into my head (probably because I ran rear wheel Dino's And did high speed tune ups on r.w.dino's)! Its hard to lean over a hood at 80 miles an hr on a drag car LOL

Its funny, people buy Big cu inch monster crate engines thinking their 500 horse power is guaranteed because of the adds and litrature says they were dino tested ! Then they bring em in and find out they have 275 hp at the rear wheels!! A lot really get upset and yell at me After doing quite a few crate motors that were installed in vehicles they average a little over 1/3 less hp at the rear wheels compared to their advertized brake hp!

But then you get the young guy that built a strong mouse motor himself did it right and its pullen 275 hp at 6500 rpm and climben the look on his face makes my day.

people dont understand you can put that same 275 hp mouse into another car and only get a reading of 210 hp at the same rpm or change to a lighter rear end dope and gain 3 hp! The big one I see most are the people putting in high volume higher pressure oil pumps and their oil pressures reading 90# at idle hot! they just dont understand how much hp and torque it takes to power that pump. Just changing fans can give your eng 5, 10, or more usable hp

I didnt have to write all that! I already know cobalt knows this and a lot more! but some visitors may not