Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
very good, missed that i guess

I asked about the cam vs. CR because I am trying to see what I can get away with for my build, for the CR

but you are way lower on the cam then I am, I have the XE 274 H
thats is why I asked if you had the XE 268 it would have been close
its no wonder your CR works well, with the cam you have
Ditch the peanut ports and go for some closed chamber heads and you can get away with that cam and factory flat top pistons. Otherwise you will need some domes and serious work on the peanut ports. That will save you a couple hundred dollars.

Furthermore, I spent some of my time concentrating on the balance of the engine. I put my longest rod with my shortest piston and etc; I also balanced all the piston/rod assemblies within 8 grams of each other. Not an over the top balance, but enough to give me a snappy throttle response and some assurance when I rev to 5500 with nitrous on factory rods. The only other upgrade I recommend is ARP bolts. I ran the small cam and the peanut ports just because it fit with my engine design and budget I was building an engine for torque; not horsepower. Like the previous poster said;"I have more time than money"