Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee phil View Post
Over here in europe the benzine is about 96 octane(regular unleaded) and we also have E-85 that they sell as super. The high octane,measured here in RON, is due to the addition of alcohol in all benzine products now. If you install a knock sensor with a timing retard function you can run almost anything. I work on BMW motorcycles with standard 12 to 1 compression on the normal factory sport street machine(180 horsepower,1300 cc) and the electronics take care of any detonation problems. If you have a MSD 6 AL there are attachments to give you a knock sensor function along with the automatic timing retard ,also available is a manual timing adjuster ( while your driving) as well. Its a bit expensive but with old fuel and other gas station tricks effecting fuel quality, it would be a smart move anyways(I knew a couple of gas station owners back in the day). You'd think with all the money they charge for gasoline now you guys would at least get a little higher quality product. I think ,no matter what I read on the net, that you gotta have at least 10 to 1 or more to approach 500 hp at the crank. I appreciate the advice and information,its a big help.
Yes, Europe usually uses Research Octane Number, while North America uses the average of the sum of MON and RON or (RON+MON)/2 Reaserch Octane Number and Motor Octane Number.

Our Sunoco Ultra 94 RON+MON/2 is much higher in octane than 96 RON octane.

peace
Hog