How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My friend has a chevelle with a 454 w/ factory style flat top pistons and 781 heads. He runs an Isky 275 roller with an edelbrock performer. He runs mid 12s NA when he can get it to hook. He has 3.55 gears w/ a th350. That setup is potent! You should have no problem with your setup.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethn_bert
My friend has a chevelle with a 454 w/ factory style flat top pistons and 781 heads. He runs an Isky 275 roller with an edelbrock performer. He runs mid 12s NA when he can get it to hook. He has 3.55 gears w/ a th350. That setup is potent! You should have no problem with your setup.
mine will be a 496 (I haven't ordered pistons yet) with a XE 274 H, 1.72:1 rockers on big valve 781s and a Eddy RPM Air Gap intake
i'm still trying to see whats the lowest CR, I can reasonably get away with
Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

I'm sorry he has factory dome pistons
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev View Post
mine will be a 496 (I haven't ordered pistons yet) with a XE 274 H, 1.72:1 rockers on big valve 781s and a Eddy RPM Air Gap intake
i'm still trying to see whats the lowest CR, I can reasonably get away with
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a relevant question/suggestion. What kind of compression do you think you'd have with a set of LS6 factory forged pistons (10-13 cc dome) with your 781 heads. They are very strong and can be fitted with floating wrist pin as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM

Horsepower.

Funny thing, the older I get the less I am hung up on horsepower figures. Torque rules. A BBC torque monster that rev's easy to 6000 rpm makes sense, whatever the HP. A friend has a 36 Ford Coupe with a stock .030 over 500 Caddy. It's a stock rebuild, and you better be hanging on when he pushes the loud pedal. Idles smooth and gets 18 MPG, breaks tires loose whenever you want. Torque rules.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee phil View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a relevant question/suggestion. What kind of compression do you think you'd have with a set of LS6 factory forged pistons (10-13 cc dome) with your 781 heads. They are very strong and can be fitted with floating wrist pin as well.
This post was hijacked a long time ago. I see Cobalt is still actually answering the OP's questions on this site and not getting off track.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Hey- a shout out for ol' cobalt! Buster, I appreciate the nod, I really do. Sometimes a simple acknowledgement makes it all seem worthwhile. So thanks for brightening an otherwise lackluster day.

Mark
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Never heard back from the OP after post #1!!!! I guess he didn't want to take a valve cover off.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM

Probably didn't know how and didn't want to be bothered to learn how to.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Never heard back from the OP after post #1!!!! I guess he didn't want to take a valve cover off.
Sorry about my lack of thread experience,just noticed from the comments it was an old thread but still active as I see from your remarks. I was only interested in the compression after a stock set of LS6 pistons would be installed in an open chamber head like a 781. I have a chance to get a set cheap as well as the 781's but am afraid the open chamber will still leave me with less than 8 to1. Just asking and I'm assuming I'm the OP your talking about(I'm getting emails that your talking to me but can't see it from your comments) sorry if I'm not.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 AM

2013 mercedes benz sl-class

A trick set of BBC aftermarket heads and a quality rod/piston combination will easily approach three grand. It's numbers like this that send guys running back to the small-block camp, but there's an alternative: Save a ton of green by starting with a good core motor.

---------------------------------

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyy2586 View Post
A trick set of BBC aftermarket heads and a quality rod/piston combination will easily approach three grand. It's numbers like this that send guys running back to the small-block camp, but there's an alternative: Save a ton of green by starting with a good core motor.

---------------------------------

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
It costs a lot more than that after you import everything and pay the import tax we have to pay on american parts(free trade agreements are a myth) here in europe. Thats why a used set of 781/049 heads are a much better deal. Far as I can tell the large oval heads will make all the power you need if you keep the revs under 6000 and leave a little torque over for your bottom end grunt. I'm building a street engine and have a good 4 bolt block with low miles. It's got truck rods,and its a mark IV so everything is strong inside. New rod bolts and a set of 30cc domed pistons should do the trick. I got to drill a hole on top of the rod and have the small end honed for a floating pin. Question is can I put the rod bolts in without having to resize the rods(thy're perfect sized as they stand now) after if I prep the rods correctly before installation.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM

How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads?

yankee phil, What octane gas do you plan on using with the 30cc pistons? A set of 27cc pistons using 781 heads with 119cc chambers would give you 10.3 compression ratio. To use 91 octane pump gas use a 18cc piston it will give you 9.5 compression ratio. I wouldn't go over 9.5 C.R. with cast iron heads if wanting to use pump gas. Some people recommend not going over 9:1 C.R. Big block are more prone to detonation than SBC. BTW if you do change rod bolts and do the honing on the rods they will have to be resized again.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
yankee phil, What octane gas do you plan on using with the 30cc pistons? A set of 27cc pistons using 781 heads with 119cc chambers would give you 10.3 compression ratio. To use 91 octane pump gas use a 18cc piston it will give you 9.5 compression ratio. I wouldn't go over 9.5 C.R. with cast iron heads if wanting to use pump gas. Some people recommend not going over 9:1 C.R. Big block are more prone to detonation than SBC. BTW if you do change rod bolts and do the honing on the rods they will have to be resized again.
Over here in europe the benzine is about 96 octane(regular unleaded) and we also have E-85 that they sell as super. The high octane,measured here in RON, is due to the addition of alcohol in all benzine products now. If you install a knock sensor with a timing retard function you can run almost anything. I work on BMW motorcycles with standard 12 to 1 compression on the normal factory sport street machine(180 horsepower,1300 cc) and the electronics take care of any detonation problems. If you have a MSD 6 AL there are attachments to give you a knock sensor function along with the automatic timing retard ,also available is a manual timing adjuster ( while your driving) as well. Its a bit expensive but with old fuel and other gas station tricks effecting fuel quality, it would be a smart move anyways(I knew a couple of gas station owners back in the day). You'd think with all the money they charge for gasoline now you guys would at least get a little higher quality product. I think ,no matter what I read on the net, that you gotta have at least 10 to 1 or more to approach 500 hp at the crank. I appreciate the advice and information,its a big help.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee phil View Post
Over here in europe the benzine is about 96 octane(regular unleaded) and we also have E-85 that they sell as super. The high octane,measured here in RON, is due to the addition of alcohol in all benzine products now. If you install a knock sensor with a timing retard function you can run almost anything. I work on BMW motorcycles with standard 12 to 1 compression on the normal factory sport street machine(180 horsepower,1300 cc) and the electronics take care of any detonation problems. If you have a MSD 6 AL there are attachments to give you a knock sensor function along with the automatic timing retard ,also available is a manual timing adjuster ( while your driving) as well. Its a bit expensive but with old fuel and other gas station tricks effecting fuel quality, it would be a smart move anyways(I knew a couple of gas station owners back in the day). You'd think with all the money they charge for gasoline now you guys would at least get a little higher quality product. I think ,no matter what I read on the net, that you gotta have at least 10 to 1 or more to approach 500 hp at the crank. I appreciate the advice and information,its a big help.
Yes, Europe usually uses Research Octane Number, while North America uses the average of the sum of MON and RON or (RON+MON)/2 Reaserch Octane Number and Motor Octane Number.

Our Sunoco Ultra 94 RON+MON/2 is much higher in octane than 96 RON octane.

peace
Hog

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.