Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-do-i-get-500-hp-out-454-peanut-port-211899.html)

ucarlg 01-06-2012 10:03 AM

How do I get 500 Hp out of a 454 with peanut port heads?

Hi, I recently bought a stock motor home 454/ th400 combo for my 1970 c-10. I would like to get about 500 hp. Can someone help guide me in the right direction?

techinspector1 01-06-2012 11:01 AM

Remove one valve cover and post the casting number you find there between the valve guides.

Hotrodrobert 01-06-2012 01:59 PM

Three choices:
1. Lots of NO2
2. Lots of boost
3. Spend enough on those heads to buy a 500HP engine.

matts37chev 01-06-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotrodrobert
Three choices:
1. Lots of NO2
2. Lots of boost
3. Spend enough on those heads to buy a 500HP engine.

I think he can get pretty close
Worry less about the "500 hp" and just try to build the best power he can , with what he has
He can build a high torque, low RPM. Monster that will get close

painted jester 01-06-2012 02:57 PM

no one asked rear wheel hp or fly wheel hp makes a big difference!

cobalt327 01-06-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucarlg
Hi, I recently bought a stock motor home 454/ th400 combo for my 1970 c-10. I would like to get about 500 hp. Can someone help guide me in the right direction?

The article that was the basis for my post HERE is located HERE.

matts37chev 01-06-2012 06:06 PM

most people dont even know you can get a good intake for the peanuts :thumbup:

painted jester 01-06-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327

good article :thumbup:

spinn 01-06-2012 06:41 PM

What is with the number 500, is that 5 more than your buddy. Looking for ideas of what vehicle you would like your truck to accelerate like can be more help at times. An impression made by a C5 vette, 5L mustang 5 spd, LS1, 440 mopar, 389 poncho, will get you building the novelest rwd's .

My pickup has a 85 305 qjet with Vortec 906 head swap. It out powers the stock 2wd 454 big ten powerhouse truck from that year. Same 3.73 gears and chassis. My 305 creams the stock 454s.

Big ten stock got 8.0 0-60 and 16.4 in the quarter mile run. 10city/14high mpg.

My 305 truck gets about 15.5+ in the run as it burries the 85mph speedometer. 15city/16 mpg at 65mph cruise control on. About the same acceleration as a stock 99 grand prix supercharged .

streetbruiser 01-06-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1
Remove one valve cover and post the casting number you find there between the valve guides.

For sure you will want to confirm that you do in fact have peanut port heads. I harvested a 454 from a '79 motorhome and was surprised to find that it had the regular oval ports. :D

topwrench 01-06-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Good article!
Dont take much to make that rat go!!

cobalt327 01-07-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlerana
no one asked rear wheel hp or fly wheel hp makes a big difference!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/...0.creation.jpg

The assumption is brake HP unless RWHP is specified, at least to me. YMMV.

painted jester 01-08-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

The assumption is brake HP unless RWHP is specified, at least to me. YMMV.

With me its always rear wheel horse power that pops into my head (probably because I ran rear wheel Dino's And did high speed tune ups on r.w.dino's)! Its hard to lean over a hood at 80 miles an hr on a drag car :D LOL

Its funny, people buy Big cu inch monster crate engines thinking their 500 horse power is guaranteed because of the adds and litrature says they were dino tested ! Then they bring em in and find out they have 275 hp at the rear wheels!! A lot really get upset and yell at me :D After doing quite a few crate motors that were installed in vehicles they average a little over 1/3 less hp at the rear wheels compared to their advertized brake hp!

But then you get the young guy that built a strong mouse motor himself did it right and its pullen 275 hp at 6500 rpm and climben the look on his face makes my day.

people dont understand you can put that same 275 hp mouse into another car and only get a reading of 210 hp at the same rpm or change to a lighter rear end dope and gain 3 hp! The big one I see most are the people putting in high volume higher pressure oil pumps and their oil pressures reading 90# at idle hot! they just dont understand how much hp and torque it takes to power that pump. Just changing fans can give your eng 5, 10, or more usable hp :D

I didnt have to write all that! :D I already know cobalt knows this and a lot more! but some visitors may not :D

topwrench 01-08-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted jester
With me its always rear wheel horse power that pops into my head (probably because I ran rear wheel Dino's And did high speed tune ups on r.w.dino's)! Its hard to lean over a hood at 80 miles an hr on a drag car :D LOL

Its funny, people buy Big cu inch monster crate engines thinking their 500 horse power is guaranteed because of the adds and litrature says they were dino tested ! Then they bring em in and find out they have 275 hp at the rear wheels!! A lot really get upset and yell at me :D After doing quite a few crate motors that were installed in vehicles they average a little over 1/3 less hp at the rear wheels compared to their advertized brake hp!

But then you get the young guy that built a strong mouse motor himself did it right and its pullen 275 hp at 6500 rpm and climben the look on his face makes my day.

people dont understand you can put that same 275 hp mouse into another car and only get a reading of 210 hp at the same rpm or change to a lighter rear end dope and gain 3 hp! The big one I see most are the people putting in high volume higher pressure oil pumps and their oil pressures reading 90# at idle hot! they just dont understand how much hp and torque it takes to power that pump. Just changing fans can give your eng 5, 10, or more usable hp :D

I didnt have to write all that! :D I already know cobalt knows this and a lot more! but some visitors may not :D

Given the same H.P. weather.Flywheel,Gross or rear wheel B.M.E.P. decreases with increasing displacement.And B.M.E.P.plays a great role in the durability of any engine weather S.I. or C.I.
I know this statement is arguable with how you get to the same H.P. but it is generally true!
Decreasing internal component friction by the use of lighter oils always gives a small increase in H.P.
Removing ancilliary loads also gives increases in H.P.
Dyno adjustments,ambient temp,exhaust header internal condition(rust or carbon build up)can also affect the readings
I know Im splitting hairs here.Ive never seen two different dynos give the same readings.
Im not bashing dyno tuning,I think its a great thing!
Ive personally seen a S.B. load up to 800 G.H.P. at 9200,n that was at 209 C.I.D.with a little less than 2 ATM of boost!

painted jester 01-08-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topwrench
Given the same H.P. weather.Flywheel,Gross or rear wheel B.M.E.P. decreases with increasing displacement.And B.M.E.P.plays a great role in the durability of any engine weather S.I. or C.I.
I know this statement is arguable with how you get to the same H.P. but it is generally true!
Decreasing internal component friction by the use of lighter oils always gives a small increase in H.P.
Removing ancilliary loads also gives increases in H.P.
Dyno adjustments,ambient temp,exhaust header internal condition(rust or carbon build up)can also affect the readings
I know Im splitting hairs here.Ive never seen two different dynos give the same readings.
Im not bashing dyno tuning,I think its a great thing!
Ive personally seen a S.B. load up to 800 G.H.P. at 9200,n that was at 209 C.I.D.with a little less than 2 ATM of boost!

I agree I can dyno in the evening get a reading shut down leave the car on the dyno over night, come in the next day and get different readings, Air temp, humidity too many variables! But I wasn't comparing anything big block or small block. The mouse motor could of been a 427 side oiler didnt make any difference I was talking about peoples reactions! Maybe if I used two 454s And not the same hp In the statement it would have gone over better

Their R.W.Dynoing at car shows here (probably at lawn shows all over I dont Know) they charge 50 bucks and have the owners guess what their hp is. They give the same reactions!! Usually they blame the builder who promised 6oo hp out of the build! They dont realize the builder did just what he said he'd do 600 or more b.h.p. not 395 r.w.h.p.!