Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how do i get cheap horse power out of my 92 eclipse GS?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

before you spend a dime on any performance "goodys"....

do a compression test and leak down test on the motor....
to know for sure it is atleast a basically sound/decent motor to build on and not worn out....

a small displacement motor has to work much harder to accelerate a car's weight...
if they don't get alot of TLC thru out their mileage life they do tend to wear out much faster/sooner than a bigger motor....

bolt on any speed goodies to a worn out motor will gain you next to nothing in added performance

"fair chance" that you are 20%+ down on HP power from what it was when new due to just any or all the worn out tune up and sensor parts ....just the cost of those parts is going to empty your wallet in a heartbeat....to get the motor back to close to new condition performance

on any motor from a lawn mower to a car motor always test and diagnose the motor before you get out your wrenches or wallet.....

DO spend some time reading in the "Knowledge Base" link at the top of this page...100's of excellent articles explaining how to improve performance

my $.02:
I gag and I gasp everytime I look at the prices for import performance "tuner" parts....dollars spent per HP gained (typically $500 just for headers to gain just 10HP= $50 for each additional HP!)

the stock Mitsubishi motor is already factory "tweeked" to about it's practical max power versus cubic inches....there is NO cheap way to add enough more HP to make enough additional power (about 50HP more) that you will feel a big difference....because the car does weigh 3,000lbs