Hot Rod Forum banner

how do i get licence plates? (read)

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  carpunk 
#1 ·
i want a pair of plates made for my truck here in england i will be in ca/in aweek or so is it poss to have them made anywhere and what sort of cost? do i need my pink slip (log book)
where do u guys buy replacements?

#2 ·
don't know what your talking about

Dosn't the BMV in England issue your plates? What good would a plate from the States do you? Here in the states you would need the title to the truck and your drivers license to get a legal plate issued to you.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

#6 ·
heres the deal

no no no i live in england but will be in ca for a holiday over here we are allowed to use american type number plates on certain vehicles and mine falls into this catagory i can use the usa style plates wich suit my truck far better than the english bigger type
so what i want to do is write down my number i allready have and get a set of plates made with my number then take them home to use
there is a company here doing them but they can b unreliable/expensive
....................so where/how do i do it over there and whats the cost of a set of replacement plates?
over here most auto shops make the uk type plates while u wait
hope this makes more sense now?

#8 ·
??

thanks dinger but it doesnt work like that i need to have my numbers punched into the plate over here cars have a number for life period except if u do a personal plate transfer .......so i need to walk into a shop and ask for a pair of usa plates with my numbers/letters
does it work like that?
where do u go for a nother set if yours get lost/destroyed?
as i said over here thereare number plate machines in most car shops but they only do the english type

#9 ·
What about picking up a set of plates from a swapmeet and having them registered? As far as the original question...No you CANNOT have a set made unless special ordered thru the Department of Motor vehicles. If you could there would be all kinds of thieves in line. LOL!!

#10 ·
so if u lose or break yours u have to go to the d.o.t?
u dont have shops that have numper plate machines?
what about the people who make the show plates to say what ever u want for show purpouses they could do it dont they have stalls at shows or anything?????????????????????
i cant buy ANY plates and use them i HAVE to have my vehicles number on them
and all uk numbers are registered the fancy private plates u see over here were mostly off old cars then a bit of imagination applied to make them read different by moving bolts etc
u cant just think of a word and register it

#12 ·
hahahahahahahahaha thats like guessing lottery numbers!
my number reads in this style (GGG 99 H ) this isnt the number DOH!

i just want a set of blank plates and have my numbers pressed in how hard can it be?
as i said surley the show plate makers can do it?
like the novelty ones u see ,,hot350,,454vet,, 426 mcl,, tuf 460,,
that sort of thing where do they get them made?

#13 ·
carpunk

Like Kevin said, you cannot just walk into a shop and have a plate made. While the styles of plates available differs somewhat from state to state, all states require registration prior to the issuance of license plates.

Many states, like here in Wisconsin, will issue what's called Temporary Plates which are good for a short period of time. These are most often used right after a person purchases the vehicle and is waiting for their permanent plates.

When a plate is lost or damaged, the owner must apply for a replacement plate and this can take a month or more.

Many of the states still make their plates in their State prisons.

Using a plastic "show" plate or an immitation plate while driving on the highway is VERY illegal.

Your best bet is to call California DOT offices (or the DOT office of the state where you're first unloading the vehicle) and discuss the situation with them.

Basically ANY operation of a motor vehicle on the highway without proper registration displayed is a violation. Your own country's registration is O.K. but normally to have a vehicle actually registered in a state requires the owner to be a resident of that state. But like I said earlier, you might be able to get a temporary intransit plate.

Hope some of this makes sense.

#14 ·
Solution............get to know a guy in prison................Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think that you would be best off dealing with the outfit in England, even if the are expensive/unreliable. You will be further ahead.

#15 ·
listen i am very gratefull for the replys/advice but please re read my posts b4 replying
big bird what the hell are u talking about?
iv no intentions of bringing a vehicle to usa
ive no intentions of registering a vehicle in usa
your laws are not the laws in england its irelevent
please somebody just tell me where i can get a set of ,,show,, imitation plates made up with whatever i want on them
so i can take them back to england and fix to my own vehicle
ITS JUST A SET OF U.S PLATES MADE BUT WITH MY UK NUMBERS
dont want to offend anybody but i thought this was a simple question .............then again i guess some of u think playing the banjo is simple eh?
sorry shouldnt have said that lol

#16 ·
To clarify some things, for those of you that don't know, in the U.K. and many other countries abroad the license plate is issued to the car, for the life of the car (as stated before). There permanent.

So in the event that the car is sold to someone else the plates go with the car.

My suggestion would be to search California State licensing bureau's website "procedure's for obtaining personalized license plate's". It would be preferable to call so you could fully explain your situation.

This would be the only possible way of being able to select what you want on an American license plate.

P.S. You could search other State websites as well the procedures will vary from state to state and you may find it to be easier in one over the other. Then they could mail them to you.

Good Luck

#18 ·
big bird what the hell are u talking about?
carpunk,

When I read the first posts, I was under the impression (as were some others) that you were bringing your vehicle with you on holiday and you wanted U.S. plates with your British number on them, what we call a personalized plate.

I've been with the Wisconsin State Patrol for over 26 years having moved up in rank from trooper, to sergeant, to lieutenant and now Director of Programs at our training Academy so you might say I'm more than a bit familiar with motor vehicle laws.

I was merely trying to give you some helpful information, but I'm sorry if my response was not what you were looking for...that's what the hell I was talking about.

#19 ·
imitation plates made up with whatever i want on them
I have a hard time believing your gonna be able to get plates. It was a pain in the *** for me to even get plates...and I LIVE HERE!!!! I had one original black and yellow, I told them I wanted 1 plate made with my numbers I own on it. They wouldnt do it, you know what they did took my lisence plate from 1965 and kept it!!!! Teeeed me off so I raised my voice, and the lady put out a sign if you yell you will be jailed. I wound up sayin WEll ill just have someone make me a plate with my numbers on it, She says NOO thats illegal I'm like WTF! I own the damn numbers! I mean like how much of a crime is it they are my registerd numbers...This state is a paain in the buttt when it comes to things you want/need from the government. What wound up happening they "stole" my black and yellow plate, I even offerd her 50 dollars for me to keep it and her wipe the number from the computer I woulda liked to have my original plate on the wall GRRR ..and they gave me 2 new white PRESTAMPED PLATES....they got a huge pile of prestamped plates. If your car isnt registered here insured here and u dont have a drivers lisence here its highly unlikely your gonna get that plate...imitation plate=illegal. Sorry to give ya bad news but I really think this is gonna be a hard one to do.

#20 ·
i just want a set of blank plates and have my numbers pressed in how hard can it be?
as i said surley the show plate makers can do it?
like the novelty ones u see ,,hot350,,454vet,, 426 mcl,, tuf 460,,
that sort of thing where do they get them made?

Those so called novelty plate that you call novelty plates are personalized plates registered thru the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. A person in the U.S. can apply for a personalized plate and if it is available can get it made and returned in about a 30 day time period. Yes the laws in England and the US vary and for what you are asking would get a US citizen about 10 years behind bars. They are very strict about registration and licensing of vehicles over on this side of the drink. Vehicles are stolen every few seconds over here so they do everything in their power to try and deter theft. Registration, titleing of vehicles, and notarization of all paperwork pertaining thereto. Hope you find what you are looking for but most on here probably can't help you.

#22 ·
go to the site (cr8apl8) or maybe cra8apl8) something like that i couldnt add link for some reason so do a search theres most probably others i think there based in ca sold over 2 million replica plates! an interesting site
im surprised no-one knew of it
must b an awfull lot of full jails i wonder why? lol
anyway im gratefull for the replys

......................next week on wildest police chases
a dangerous fellon is brought to justice after a daring heist of 50c bag of chips but hes no match for the fleet of cruisers ,4 apache gunships, a swat team, vic macky, and a water cannon.
the only chips this thug will get free are the california highway patrol!
meanwhile innocent drug dealing scum are free to do there filthy buisness

#23 ·
Yea, I checked out that site when I seen you posted it. I just wish I had known about that site when I just needed my front black and yellow plate.....No one would have ever known the difference. ***sigh*** But that might work depending on the laws over there where you are at....Sounds like a plan good luck with it Carpunk.

#24 · (Edited)
yeah no worries 1fast to be truthfull they seem rather expensive
im sure there must be others around doing it
over here theres allsorts of laws about plates but if your vehicle was made b4 1972 i think? u can run silver on black plates non reflective but after that its black on yellow and black on white (front)
the people over here doing them take ages but they wil stamp whatever u want on them i had a set years ago white on blue with my number and on top it said minor alterations (it was on a rodded morris minor pick up) they also even supply the sticker things u have on them in the corners? + any state design u want they have been doing them for years theyre called statesplates
i just figured in the land of the free i could just get a set on the spot and real cheap

just found a few more doing them maybe i shouldhave just done a search lol
try this 1 customlicenceplates
maybe someone should go down there and bust there ***
even a pic of the govenor of FL flaunting his lack of respect for the law!!
that low life should get 10 years in rykers:nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.