How do I get rid of a junk car? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,147 Times in 946 Posts
Most service organizations will give you a receipt that is good for a $700 deduct on your federal taxes. Call Goodwill, Lion's Club, Kiwanis, etc. and check it out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Years ago, I lived on a 1500 AC Vineyard in Napa..

When I was done with Scrapers..I'd Cut them into 2 foot sections with an oxy Acetylene Torch, and use them for Berm backfill along the some 2 miles of narrow road it took to get from the highway to my 150 year old Sears/Roebuck "mail~Order home"....

It was Fun , and a good aggression release..(provided I didn't set the barn ablaze..)

Words of caution:

IF there is ANY hope the Vehicle can be hashed together, and driven..AT all..even the most REMOTE possibility..

AND you PLAN to Donate it..

MAKE sure you do he following before you Let the tow driver LEAVE with the car..

MAKE sure you have a WORKING scanner or Fax machine, or a GOOD digi camera with you..

When the driver does the paperwork, COPY the following..
  • A SIGNED copy of the title..

• TWO (not one, you can get spares at DMV or print online) Copy's of a release of liability forms Signed by the driver, with the TIME indicated also..

• REMOVE the plates and VIN (if possible) as well as the registration Card (S) Place them in a folder and hand them to the driver..

• A Bill of sale (hand written or online from DMV) The first line stating:

" I / We, release liability of this Vehicle to the Following Charitable Organization:___________On this Date:__________In the City Of:_____________, County Of:______________at : ______________AM/PM, and have no further interest in this Vehicle: (State Tag Number: ) ____________, Vehicle Identification Number:______________, and no longer have any interest, Own or control the operation of this Vehicle..

Signed: ________________ Representative of the organization (Tow driver)

Date:__________________

Time__________________AM/PM.

THEN, Take a digi photo of the car loaded un the tow truck, as it is being hauled away..commit it to hardrive..

Call your Insurance Agent, EVEN if the Vehicle is uninsured!...and let him/her know you JUST donated the car, have him/Her note the time date..

KEEP 1 copy of the release of Liability Form, Mail the other THAT day to DMV, and give the one that comes with the title to the driver..

Along with that make a signed copy of the Bill of sale and Charity receipt, mail those with the RLF..to DMV.

Retain your copy's with your personal documents in a safe place..

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

My son Donated a CURRENTLY registered, semi running Opel Station wagon, to a "Drug Halfway house" organization that had a section of a "Pooled" wrecking yard (same tow service for ALL the charity's junkers..) ...

Turns out the druggies, got it running , stole it off the yard , and committed SEVERAL felony's with it in one night..(Robbery, Burglary, Hit and Run, Evading..) And at 3 AM, Two uniformed California Highway Patrol Officer's and a detective Showed up at our door..with a warrant for my son's arrest..

We explained the Vehicle was donated to the charity, showed the "Write off" receipt, and it did no good at all..He was arrested as a suspect of the crimes, Taken to County Jail, and held until after Booking (The Following day around noon..Larger County Jails May take up to 2 Working days to Book incoming suspects) until I could Bail him out..and he was So charged with those offenses until Court..AND then, HAD to prove his innocence.

I have heard of other nightmares like this also..so be advised..It could happen to you..

BESIDES that, It's the law in California, to send a RLF to DMV within 10 days of the sale of a motor vehicle or Vessel..so It may be entered in the system..

HAD that been done in my son's case, when the CHP ran the Vehicle plate in the system when they recovered it..It would come back, "Plate , Clear, Current, Release of Liability received on: XX XX XX to: Druggies International, ...and THAT would have taken him out of the loop (and suspect list..)

Some people believe these "Donated" Cars go to some nice sterile Garage someplace to be rebuilt or parted out..NOT TRUE! They are all heaped together in a junk yard somewhere (usually the same operator under several charity names) where ANYBODY has access to them..

May sound like a bunch of overkill..But even if nobody gets it running, and uses it in a crime spree..If the driver hits a parked car on the way to the yard and doesn't stop, and a wittiness gets the plate, guess Who is going to pay for it??

You can have all the paperwork copied while waiting for the driver to arrive..and all he need do is sign the copies..IF he hassles you, law say's HE must sigh the RLF and Bill of sale in just about every state.If he refuses..don't let him take the car...

CYA!!!

Doc
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I think u can yake a tax deduction for getting an old car off the road. That classic must have worth $ to the right person so lean down on the pen when doing taxes!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

That's a scary story, doc..

Here is my experience here in California.....I don't know how it works in your state.

The 10 or 12 cars that I have gotten rid of that had no titles or were stripped beyond what the junkyards wanted, were drained of any fluids, the gas tanks removed and rendered incapable of holding fuel, then the carcass(s) were cut up into quarters with a torch and dropped into the metal bin at the recycling yard.

No junkyard around me will give you money for coming out and picking up something older than a few years old, most will charge you, that is IF you have a title.

I have brought some other cars down to the junkyard with a proper title, and if I deliver it thay will take it and give me a receipt that I can turn in to DMV that will get me off the list.

Same goes for the steel recylers. Most will take a whole car if you drain the fluids, punch holes in the gas tank and have a title of some kind with someones signature.

After you buy oxygen and acetelyne and spend the day or 2 dealing with all of the parts, and breathing all of the smoke from burning wiring, upholstery and paint and dealing with a bunch of rancid fluids ....I found that paying the junkyard to pick it up is a bargain.

The last 2 titless cars that I had hauled away by an auto recycler licensed to do abandoned vehicles cost me 175.00 each.

That is one of the pleasures of having people dump cars on your leased commercial property. The cops don't want them, ( I have the #s ran, if it was stolen then the cops take them)

And if I get caught dumping it in the street, I can get fined. No sir.

And NO I don't steal cars, junk just seems attracted to me.

In the case of the OP, he has a title, and he should really call some local junkyards or metal recyclers.

From what I have seen, the tax writeoffs are BS. Not one of those organizations will want that car. Believe me, I have tried on several occasions to get rid of RUNNING and REGISTERED cars, but found that the charities want stuff that is only a few years old. They didn't want my 91 tracer, or my 81 lincoln continental, or my 78 monte carlo. Maybe I'm just calling the wrong places.

Myself, I seem to have lost the joy in cutting up cars. It is just more work to me.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 07-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Myself, I seem to have lost the joy in cutting up cars. It is just more work to me.

Later, mikey[/QUOTE]

I have as well..Anymore unless I have a use for it it does not come around..and I have made an arrangement with a scrapper to take any left overs and scrap..

Sam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.