Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   How do I get rid of a junk car? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-do-i-get-rid-junk-car-120434.html)

Dirk Squarejaw 07-19-2007 11:09 AM

How do I get rid of a junk car?

I started working on my '83 Imperial when I decided that it was to far gone and there were too few parts available for it body-wise. So, I am going to part the car out. It has no front suspension under it and I need it hauled off. I've got some rollers that could be used to let the front end roll up onto a flatbed.

I know this is probably a silly question to some, but how the heck do I get rid of the thing? Do junk yards take cars from individuals?

I need to get it out fast because the new project will arrive in a couple weeks and will need the garage space and I can't let the Imp sit outside where I live without neighbors having a fit.

Double_v23 07-19-2007 11:27 AM

Most junkyards will come and take it away for you. That is just good business sense for them. Or put an ad in the paper, people buy junk every day why shouldn't they buy your junk?

35WINDOW 07-19-2007 11:32 AM

Generally I believe you will need to sign over a good Title-

Dirk Squarejaw 07-19-2007 11:54 AM

How do I get rid of a junk car?

I started working on my '83 Imperial when I decided that it was to far gone and there were too few parts available for it body-wise. So, I am going to part the car out. It has no front suspension under it and I need it hauled off. I've got some rollers that could be used to let the front end roll up onto a flatbed.

I know this is probably a silly question to some, but how the heck do I get rid of the thing? Do junk yards take cars from individuals?

I need to get it out fast because the new project will arrive in a couple weeks and will need the garage space and I can't let the Imp sit outside where I live without neighbors having a fit.

KenCam 07-19-2007 12:03 PM

Auto salvage place here pays you for the metal. $85 a ton (I think)

joe_padavano 07-19-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Squarejaw

First, any major metro area has someone advertising on craigslist who will remove junk cars for free (since HE's the one selling the car for scrap). As for moving the car without wheels, any rollback can drag a hulk up onto the tilt bed with no problem.

busterwivell 07-19-2007 12:38 PM

You should be able to get someone (junkyard) to haul it away free if you've got a title to it. Without one, most places won't touch it.

Dirk Squarejaw 07-19-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterwivell
You should be able to get someone (junkyard) to haul it away free if you've got a title to it. Without one, most places won't touch it.

I have a title to the car, but its still in the name of the guy that sold it to me back in '05. Will I have to get it in my name in order for them to remove it?

joehalford01 07-19-2007 12:42 PM

if you have a title most junkyards will give you 50-100 bucks for the car and pick it up, if it's pretty bare they might not give you anything, but should pick it up for free.

RPM 07-19-2007 01:05 PM

If all the other suggestions won't work. Cut it up in little peices with a sawzall and get rid of it.

1ownerT 07-19-2007 03:05 PM

I don't know what kind of a demand there is for a 83 Imperial. Salvage yards may tell you they are not interested. Something I have done several times after I have stripped what I wanted, that is if it can still roll on either end, is to call a wrecker and have them tow it to the local scrap yard. What you receive for scrap usually pays for the tow. And if it doesn't, I turn it in on my towing insurance.

Dirk Squarejaw 07-19-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I don't know what kind of a demand there is for a 83 Imperial. Salvage yards may tell you they are not interested. Something I have done several times after I have stripped what I wanted, that is if it can still roll on either end, is to call a wrecker and have them tow it to the local scrap yard. What you receive for scrap usually pays for the tow. And if it doesn't, I turn it in on my towing insurance.

After doing a quick Google search, I ran across this:

http://www.junkmycar.com/formstep1.asp

I filled out the form online and within 45-minutes a tow-truck operator out of South Bend, Indiana called me and set up a pick-up time. He said he had another car in the area that he had to pick up and I'm a good 1.5hrs from South Bend. Surprised they sent someone that far, but its getting towed at no cost to me and gets it out of the garage! :thumbup:

F&J 07-19-2007 03:42 PM

That's incredible....shows the power of the net. Scrap is so high but it must still be higher than fuel for the truck..

Cool tip, thanks

1ownerT 07-19-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Squarejaw
After doing a quick Google search, I ran across this:

http://www.junkmycar.com/formstep1.asp

I filled out the form online and within 45-minutes a tow-truck operator out of South Bend, Indiana called me and set up a pick-up time. He said he had another car in the area that he had to pick up and I'm a good 1.5hrs from South Bend. Surprised they sent someone that far, but its getting towed at no cost to me and gets it out of the garage! :thumbup:

Way to go, guess you never know until you try. :thumbup:

joe_padavano 07-19-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPM
If all the other suggestions won't work. Cut it up in little peices with a sawzall and get rid of it.

Funny you should mention that...

I had a 67 Cutlass convertible parts car without a title. After stripping it of everything I wanted, I took a torch to the (very rusty) body and frame. Chunks were small enough to fit in my pickup and in Fairfax County, VA, the dump takes scrap metal for free.