Hot Rod Forum banner

How do I get rid of a junk car?

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
I started working on my '83 Imperial when I decided that it was to far gone and there were too few parts available for it body-wise. So, I am going to part the car out. It has no front suspension under it and I need it hauled off. I've got some rollers that could be used to let the front end roll up onto a flatbed.

I know this is probably a silly question to some, but how the heck do I get rid of the thing? Do junk yards take cars from individuals?

I need to get it out fast because the new project will arrive in a couple weeks and will need the garage space and I can't let the Imp sit outside where I live without neighbors having a fit.

#4 ·
I started working on my '83 Imperial when I decided that it was to far gone and there were too few parts available for it body-wise. So, I am going to part the car out. It has no front suspension under it and I need it hauled off. I've got some rollers that could be used to let the front end roll up onto a flatbed.

I know this is probably a silly question to some, but how the heck do I get rid of the thing? Do junk yards take cars from individuals?

I need to get it out fast because the new project will arrive in a couple weeks and will need the garage space and I can't let the Imp sit outside where I live without neighbors having a fit.

#6 ·
Dirk Squarejaw said:

First, any major metro area has someone advertising on craigslist who will remove junk cars for free (since HE's the one selling the car for scrap). As for moving the car without wheels, any rollback can drag a hulk up onto the tilt bed with no problem.

#11 ·
I don't know what kind of a demand there is for a 83 Imperial. Salvage yards may tell you they are not interested. Something I have done several times after I have stripped what I wanted, that is if it can still roll on either end, is to call a wrecker and have them tow it to the local scrap yard. What you receive for scrap usually pays for the tow. And if it doesn't, I turn it in on my towing insurance.

#12 ·
1ownerT said:
I don't know what kind of a demand there is for a 83 Imperial. Salvage yards may tell you they are not interested. Something I have done several times after I have stripped what I wanted, that is if it can still roll on either end, is to call a wrecker and have them tow it to the local scrap yard. What you receive for scrap usually pays for the tow. And if it doesn't, I turn it in on my towing insurance.
After doing a quick Google search, I ran across this:

http://www.junkmycar.com/formstep1.asp

I filled out the form online and within 45-minutes a tow-truck operator out of South Bend, Indiana called me and set up a pick-up time. He said he had another car in the area that he had to pick up and I'm a good 1.5hrs from South Bend. Surprised they sent someone that far, but its getting towed at no cost to me and gets it out of the garage! :thumbup:

#14 ·
Dirk Squarejaw said:
After doing a quick Google search, I ran across this:

http://www.junkmycar.com/formstep1.asp

I filled out the form online and within 45-minutes a tow-truck operator out of South Bend, Indiana called me and set up a pick-up time. He said he had another car in the area that he had to pick up and I'm a good 1.5hrs from South Bend. Surprised they sent someone that far, but its getting towed at no cost to me and gets it out of the garage! :thumbup:
Way to go, guess you never know until you try. :thumbup:

#15 ·
RPM said:
If all the other suggestions won't work. Cut it up in little peices with a sawzall and get rid of it.
Funny you should mention that...

I had a 67 Cutlass convertible parts car without a title. After stripping it of everything I wanted, I took a torch to the (very rusty) body and frame. Chunks were small enough to fit in my pickup and in Fairfax County, VA, the dump takes scrap metal for free.

#17 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Years ago, I lived on a 1500 AC Vineyard in Napa..

When I was done with Scrapers..I'd Cut them into 2 foot sections with an oxy Acetylene Torch, and use them for Berm backfill along the some 2 miles of narrow road it took to get from the highway to my 150 year old Sears/Roebuck "mail~Order home"....

It was Fun , and a good aggression release..(provided I didn't set the barn ablaze..)

Words of caution:

IF there is ANY hope the Vehicle can be hashed together, and driven..AT all..even the most REMOTE possibility..

AND you PLAN to Donate it..

MAKE sure you do he following before you Let the tow driver LEAVE with the car..

MAKE sure you have a WORKING scanner or Fax machine, or a GOOD digi camera with you..

When the driver does the paperwork, COPY the following..

• A SIGNED copy of the title..

• TWO (not one, you can get spares at DMV or print online) Copy's of a release of liability forms Signed by the driver, with the TIME indicated also..

• REMOVE the plates and VIN (if possible) as well as the registration Card (S) Place them in a folder and hand them to the driver..

• A Bill of sale (hand written or online from DMV) The first line stating:

" I / We, release liability of this Vehicle to the Following Charitable Organization:___________On this Date:__________In the City Of:_____________, County Of:______________at : ______________AM/PM, and have no further interest in this Vehicle: (State Tag Number: ) ____________, Vehicle Identification Number:______________, and no longer have any interest, Own or control the operation of this Vehicle..

Signed: ________________ Representative of the organization (Tow driver)

Date:__________________

Time__________________AM/PM.

THEN, Take a digi photo of the car loaded un the tow truck, as it is being hauled away..commit it to hardrive..

Call your Insurance Agent, EVEN if the Vehicle is uninsured!...and let him/her know you JUST donated the car, have him/Her note the time date..

KEEP 1 copy of the release of Liability Form, Mail the other THAT day to DMV, and give the one that comes with the title to the driver..

Along with that make a signed copy of the Bill of sale and Charity receipt, mail those with the RLF..to DMV.

Retain your copy's with your personal documents in a safe place..

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

My son Donated a CURRENTLY registered, semi running Opel Station wagon, to a "Drug Halfway house" organization that had a section of a "Pooled" wrecking yard (same tow service for ALL the charity's junkers..) ...

Turns out the druggies, got it running , stole it off the yard , and committed SEVERAL felony's with it in one night..(Robbery, Burglary, Hit and Run, Evading..) And at 3 AM, Two uniformed California Highway Patrol Officer's and a detective Showed up at our door..with a warrant for my son's arrest..

We explained the Vehicle was donated to the charity, showed the "Write off" receipt, and it did no good at all..He was arrested as a suspect of the crimes, Taken to County Jail, and held until after Booking (The Following day around noon..Larger County Jails May take up to 2 Working days to Book incoming suspects) until I could Bail him out..and he was So charged with those offenses until Court..AND then, HAD to prove his innocence.

I have heard of other nightmares like this also..so be advised..It could happen to you..

BESIDES that, It's the law in California, to send a RLF to DMV within 10 days of the sale of a motor vehicle or Vessel..so It may be entered in the system..

HAD that been done in my son's case, when the CHP ran the Vehicle plate in the system when they recovered it..It would come back, "Plate , Clear, Current, Release of Liability received on: XX XX XX to: Druggies International, ...and THAT would have taken him out of the loop (and suspect list..)

Some people believe these "Donated" Cars go to some nice sterile Garage someplace to be rebuilt or parted out..NOT TRUE! They are all heaped together in a junk yard somewhere (usually the same operator under several charity names) where ANYBODY has access to them..

May sound like a bunch of overkill..But even if nobody gets it running, and uses it in a crime spree..If the driver hits a parked car on the way to the yard and doesn't stop, and a wittiness gets the plate, guess Who is going to pay for it??

You can have all the paperwork copied while waiting for the driver to arrive..and all he need do is sign the copies..IF he hassles you, law say's HE must sigh the RLF and Bill of sale in just about every state.If he refuses..don't let him take the car...

CYA!!!

Doc :pimp:

#19 ·
That's a scary story, doc.. :pain:

Here is my experience here in California.....I don't know how it works in your state.

The 10 or 12 cars that I have gotten rid of that had no titles or were stripped beyond what the junkyards wanted, were drained of any fluids, the gas tanks removed and rendered incapable of holding fuel, then the carcass(s) were cut up into quarters with a torch and dropped into the metal bin at the recycling yard.

No junkyard around me will give you money for coming out and picking up something older than a few years old, most will charge you, that is IF you have a title.

I have brought some other cars down to the junkyard with a proper title, and if I deliver it thay will take it and give me a receipt that I can turn in to DMV that will get me off the list.

Same goes for the steel recylers. Most will take a whole car if you drain the fluids, punch holes in the gas tank and have a title of some kind with someones signature.

After you buy oxygen and acetelyne and spend the day or 2 dealing with all of the parts, and breathing all of the smoke from burning wiring, upholstery and paint and dealing with a bunch of rancid fluids ....I found that paying the junkyard to pick it up is a bargain.

The last 2 titless cars that I had hauled away by an auto recycler licensed to do abandoned vehicles cost me 175.00 each.

That is one of the pleasures of having people dump cars on your leased commercial property. The cops don't want them, ( I have the #s ran, if it was stolen then the cops take them)

And if I get caught dumping it in the street, I can get fined. No sir.

And NO I don't steal cars, junk just seems attracted to me.

In the case of the OP, he has a title, and he should really call some local junkyards or metal recyclers.

From what I have seen, the tax writeoffs are BS. Not one of those organizations will want that car. Believe me, I have tried on several occasions to get rid of RUNNING and REGISTERED cars, but found that the charities want stuff that is only a few years old. They didn't want my 91 tracer, or my 81 lincoln continental, or my 78 monte carlo. Maybe I'm just calling the wrong places.

Myself, I seem to have lost the joy in cutting up cars. It is just more work to me.

Later, mikey

#20 ·
Myself, I seem to have lost the joy in cutting up cars. It is just more work to me.

Later, mikey[/QUOTE]

I have as well..Anymore unless I have a use for it it does not come around..and I have made an arrangement with a scrapper to take any left overs and scrap..

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.