Hot Rod Forum banner

How the $%$%#$ do I get this tilt column apart......

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  66GMC 
#1 ·
A customer brought over a tilt column from a 74 chevy van to be installed into his 55 Chev truck. No key on the column.

Already had the top part off. I am looking at the blinker switch... OK, remove the 3 screws and.............

The blinker switch barely comes out of the housing. The housing on this column is steel, not cast as on the other columns I have worked on.....

Now the switch is out, and there are no screws to remove to take the housing (cover) off. How in the heck do I get this apart.

It needs new bearings, and I probaby need to shorten it.....

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Had an occasion last evening to work on my father in-laws 90 Ford truck. Seems he could not get the starter to engage and he also could not get the shifter out of park. I quickly realized something was amiss in the tilt steering column. Pulled the steering wheel, signal switch, ignition tumbler and top half of the column cup. There is a pot metal bracket that engages the rack of the ignition cylinder pinion. That bracket attaches to a rod that actually operates the ignition switch. The bracket also has a slot in it that allows you to move the gear selector once the key is off the lock position. The bracket was snapped right as it went in to the lower half of the column cup. Had to remove the two pins on either side of the tilt mechanism to remove the broken bracket. Went to the local Ford parts man with the two pieces of the bracket in hand. Plopped them down on the parts counter and the guy immediately turned and disappeared into the parts room void. He returned in a few minutes with the replacement part. I said you obviously have sold a few of these. He said he wished he had a dollar for everyone he has sold, he would be retired by now.

The thing is Ford used this design as I understand it for about 15 years before redesign......duh.

Vince

#5 · (Edited)
I took a look at your photo and can not identfy for sure but you said it was a tilt, so the next step is to pull the piviot pins out and the two parts will seperate.

I went back and looked at the photo again ,,,,Its been a while but I did some of that type in the past the sheet metal cover slides down and then you can pull those piviot pins , cant remember what holds the sheet metal piece from sliding but its gotta be there good luck Ill check back

#6 ·
KULTULZ said:
There is a special service tool to depress that plate and remove the retainer to access the bowel.

BOWEL?....

I think the word I want is b-o-w-l...

:rolleyes:
Haha!

Lisle Tools makes both of the tools that I think he'll need. (IF he still needs them :embarrass -- I was looking thru earlier posts for information, and replied to this thread which is 1-1/2 years OLD.)

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_search_results.cfm?Search=column

HTH,
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.