Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Body - Exterior (
-   -   How do I go about moving this portion of the quarter panel in? (

Ripped 10-23-2005 12:49 PM

How do I go about moving this portion of the quarter panel in?
1 Attachment(s)
I was checking the alignment of the panels along the drivers side. The Quarter Panel on the drivers side is different than the (correct) passenger side).

I need to move the rear portion of the scallop in, about 1/4 to 3/8 inches, while trying to keep the shape, and not affect the wheel lip edge, and door edge of the quarter.

crashtech 10-23-2005 01:40 PM

Has there been some work done to that left quarter?

Ripped 10-23-2005 08:30 PM

Reproduction quarter panel

shoddy_f-body 10-23-2005 08:50 PM

Isnt that area slightly different from one year to the next?Or was it just the trim? Thinking maybe you have the wrong quarter panel?

Ripped 10-24-2005 12:08 AM

Yeah, that is certainly a possibility that was considered, only momentairily though. The '68 has a cut out at the back of the quarter panel for a rear clearance light or reflector. Also the 68 has a much much deeper contour in the scallop.

The body lines are simply tilted, so if you look along the two body folds, pass side is straight pretty much, drivers side is straight until the scallop, then the two folds jut out away from the car for the last 8 - 10 inches or so

adtkart 10-24-2005 03:39 AM

Actually, the same reproduction qtr panels are sold for the 67 and 68. The difference that I have seen in the originals is that the 67 has holes in them for the fake vents, and the 68 just has an ornamental piece attached vertically on the rear part. The depressed area there does appear to be deeper on the 67. The 68 does have holes for the reflectors in the rear. That being said, basically any use of the panel will require major modification to appear correct.

John Kelly 10-24-2005 07:32 AM

A little hard to diagnose from a picture but...You may need to cut your welds or spot welds so the panel is loose and then squeeze it in before welding it again. Or, if you did a lot of welding near the bulged area, the the shrinkage from welding can make inboard sections bulge out if not hammered and dollied correctly. If that does not help, perhaps figure out a way to apply a spreading force vertically inside the quarter to suck the area in. Maybe wood blocks shaped to fit and a porta power?


GRN69CHV 10-24-2005 04:52 PM

I had original 1/4's on my '68 Vert yet had similiar issues. Ended up working them with hammer/dolly to get the contour close, then used filler to get the shapes even. I had to build the one side up about 3/16" to make things even, this was on factory panels.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.