How do I heat my paint booth? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 01:51 AM
West Coast Chassis

Wiki Edits: 0

How do I heat my paint booth?

Hey all...

I just built myself a paint booth in my garage... I have the compressor in another room in the house, I have about 90' of copper piping with 3 water traps, vapor trap and particle trap. I have covered all the walls and ceiling with thick plastic and sealed the seams with clear tape.

I am 8 using florescent 15w light bulbs that you can get at the hardware store to light everything up, works great... they do not get very hot and are very bright when you mount them to the wall like a light bar.

I am installing a fan that came out of a paint shop and will be making a clean air intake as well.

The only problem I have is heating. How do I heat my garage and keep it at a temperature that I can paint in? I have been using a small heater and can heat the garage with no problem but I need to maintain the heat while I am painting and do not want to use the heater I am using as I am afraid of it igniting the fumes. What is a good solution?

Thank you
Randall

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 05:24 AM

Last photo:

Good question, I'm in the same boat only worse-in the winter months the outside air is sometimes -20F. An air makeup system is the only option I know of. TTT
Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I run a torpedo heater in the winter months if I paint.. It is not the best way as far as fumes are concerned, but it does do the job for a poor mans budget... I have never had any problems with one igniting the clear or whatever, however I do turn my temp gauge down when I spray and then turn it back on when i am finished and walking out of the garage..

As long as the floor is wet I have not had any problems with dust blowing on the final coat either... It has been a long time since I painted in the winter though..

Matthew
Old 05-23-2005, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

I have never used one, but I wonder if one of those oil filled radiator type heaters would put out enough heat?

http://hotproducts.alibaba.com/manuf..._Radiator.html
Old 05-23-2005, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

i have been using a very large torpedo heater for years, on a daily basis and never had a problem with fumes. i use it while i spary and my booth is insulated so i can bake with it when done. way back in the old days when i didn't have a booth i used one in my garage and barely had any ventilation in there. no problems back then either.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

I use the heat from my house, my garage is attached and I open a window in the basement farthest away from the garage door.
This will give the air a chance to mix with the warm before going into the garage.
I build a plastic sheeted wall then stack filters that are 24 wide from ceiling to the floor farthest from the exhaust blower so it will create a cross draft.
You must run the exhaust blower any time you have the door open between the house and garage to prevent fumes backing up into the house.
I never ever have any trace of fumes doing it this way because air is always rushing in thru the door way.
If temps start getting cold like winter time then you could run a torpedo heater behind the plastic sheeted wall between the paint booth and window of the garage, maybe even the combo of the house and a garage window.
The one thing you have to think about is always keep the heater upstreem of the paint fumes.
Also pre heat the garage for at least 4 hours before painting because you want every thing in that room warm not just the air.

Dave
Old 05-23-2005, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

If you have gas, go to a heating and air guy ask him to sell you a house furnace that he pulled out to replace with a more efficient model, its done every day and he will about give it too you.
mount it outside and duct the heat in, its safe and cheap.

My kid did his garage and the guy gave him the furnace and installed the whole deal for $220. gas hook up thermostat and vent into garage.

Don't put in garage or it may go boom!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

The other solution is a hanging forced air unit heater. That's what I have and had one for years at dad's. We did everything in that garage for decades. The problem is how fast the heat's lost due to the exhausting the fumes...no matter what type of heat you use. Home painting reqires constant monitoring of condidtions anyway so when it's all clear shut down the exhaust fan and crank up the heat. I always prefered the hanging units as fumes typically lay low. Even when spraying they still settle pretty fast and can linger when it seems like all the fog is gone. Long agao we got a jumbo deal on a forced air cabin heater. Man it was great and got the garge hot and cozy. Well, the burner on those is in the bottom and I sprayed a motor with some good old alkyd enamel. Not remembering to lower the heat for that spray I went to turn the exhaust fan off and the heater lit simutaniously. A brief but hard flash fire was the result. When the fumes popped it felt like my ankles got punched 360 degrees all at once. Lesson learned and never forgotten.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:46 PM
West Coast Chassis

Thank you for all your ideas... I want out today and picked up a two Noma Oil-filled Heaters today. It seems as if they will do just fine. Take a look at the link HERE if you are interested.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.