How do I know what my car is worth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How do I know what my car is worth

I'll admit it. I am in way over my head. I am only 18 and in school full time. Trying ot restore my t-bird right now is just not economically possible, and it's way too expensive and involved to be a starter car. I have decided it would be best to cut my losses and sell it. Then go back into the market in spring and hope for something more "doable".

If anybody can tell me what it might be worth I would love it. It is a 64 thunderbird landau. It has bad floors, bad trunk, and bad rear quarters. Everyhing is there though, I am the second owner. it has 100k miles. It needs new interior door pannels to. Everything lines up great and it runs pretty well. I need to know what i should sell it for. Or if i should just part it out. I feel in love with it, but now i realize I can't do what should be done. Thanks for the help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

As rusted as it sounds and without seeing pics, I would venture to say around $500-$1000. T-Birds do not command a very high price for some reason. Even a decent '64 brings only around %5000 around these parts.

Kevin
Old 10-26-2005, 02:15 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

how much $$ do you have in the car?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:36 PM

I don't really have anything into it, I basically have had it sitting around for a year not knowing what to do with it. I cut off the rust on the quarters and basically just did some minor work here and there. Simply because parts are so expensive. I payed 2800 for it and was told by many it was a good deal. I have been told by multiple people i could get quite a few thousand for parting it out. T-bird parts go for more then the cars themselves. I know for a fact it is worth way more than 500 bucks
Old 10-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

Keep in mind that prices vary a lot from place to place. That $2,800 you paid for it might be a good deal in your area, but others might pay no more than $1,000 in their area. It's very relative.

I would suggest that you hold off on selling it for a few weeks, and keep a very close eye on the local classified adds in your area. Get a good feel for the market by seeing what others are selling their T-birds (or similar cars) for. Same thing goes for parts, if you decide to part it out. If you say you got a good deal at $2,800 and others that you know agreed, then chances are there is somebody in your area who also agrees and may want to buy it for a similar price.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

check out the local papers

and Check out hemmingsmotornews.com and go on line to rodding sites and ck out the classified adds. Old t-birds projects arn't selling for much around here either...no market. Finished cars aren't selling for much more than $5000. A guy at my work who builds kit cars, cobras, bought a 63 bird out of California, drove it for the summer and sold it for the $3500 he bought it for. Good luck, you might just be better off sitting on it till your cash is right and build it yourself if if something you REALLY want. The idea of having a project dosn't mean you have to do ALL the work at once. Do as much as you can afford to do and drive the car around till you can afford to do something else.

Tazz
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Not to be rude, but that seems pretty high to me. At least in my area.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM

I honestly am so lost. I looked up some things online that give values. Some said as low as around 1200 and others around 14. Thanks for the help guys. I'm just going to put it in the paper for 28 and see what happens, hoefully I'll be back soon with my new cheeper project
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by efhill321
It is a 64 thunderbird landau. It has bad floors, bad trunk, and bad rear quarters.
A friend of mine has a real nice fully restored, rust free, 58 Square Bird hardtop with brand new interior, fat-whites and Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. With almost 20 invested, He'd be happy as a clam to get 16G's out of it. T-Birds are worth a whole lot more if they are of the convertible type. Due to the way most Birds were designed, it's really hard to find a Square Bird or a Flair Bird that's spent any time out in the weather that isn't a rust bucket. Unfortunately, if it's not a convertible or a rust-free example or both, it's not worth much.. It's just too spendy to get 'em right for the return investment. Most Bird guys will snatch the rusty ones up for parts if the price is right. Around here, what you have, might go for $1200 to the right party.

Just bein' honest Pal. Good luck

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.