How do I make my Headlights Brighter??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 PM

Last journal entry: mock up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How do I make my Headlights Brighter???

I didnt know if there was any thing to make my headlights brighter. I have a 71 chevelle with stock wiring. Would a relay help? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:

Better bulbs
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

i got a 65 elcamino, i run with my lights on hibeam, adjusted on the road as if they were normal setting. screw lowbeam theyre too weak...

You probably might wanna try a conversion to the xenon bulbs or something like that. Its a kit that has the light casing, but you only have to buy the newer style bulbs that fit into it. Im not sure what ones your are 7" or 5 3/4". but they make all sorts.
here's a LINK to them on ebay, watch out check the shipping charges some are low pirced but like 25bux to ship !!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Last photo:

Most OEM electrical systems are minimul for bright halogen lamps. You will gain a little by going to a relay system and heavier wire, just how much depends on your particular situation. There is a good article on improving headlamps at the below website. Do not fall prey to the cheesy looking fake HID blue dot bulbs, they are not worth a flip and anyone you are approaching will know they are fake.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

Vince
Old 04-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys, is there a tutorial on how to wire relays for your lights?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
By 302/Z28: Do not fall prey to the cheesy looking fake HID blue dot bulbs, they are not worth a flip and anyone you are approaching will know they are fake.
I'm curious because I been thinking about getting the conversion kit, are these crappy or something?
The h4 halogen bulbs that run in the new cars. They seem pretty bright to me. I think it would make a 200% better change. Or the ones with the tips painted blue,? <- I dont like them too much, ricey, im lookin for the pure white ones that just slip into the casing has a glass lens on em. Like the kind on the attached cuda from spinns Grill post in the lounge.

Another I heard the bulbs burn out fast if you touch them bare handed from the oils or something, i dunno if this is true or not.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

I put relays on my truck headlights ... and put halogens in ... made a HUGE difference!

No conversion kit was needed either.

HERE'S how to do the relays.

And HERE'S the deal on the halogen headlights.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 04-07-2005, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

I think when I got mine I got the sylvania h5006's im not sure what type they are incandescent?....The H6024's are better? Are they 5 3/4" i think it is?
If so i might have to invest in a set of them and see how they work before i go thru the h4 conversion.
Sorry for all the ?'s i dont know much about the headlights themselves.

Thanks for the heads up Alan, that was a good read.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Old enough to know better

My Deville uses the replaceable element halogen headlights. I didn't like the ammount of light so I slipped a pair of high watt bulbs in it. They were pretty nice. I had one burn out while I was out of town. Exact replacement was a mail order item so I went into Checker and bought the best
Sylvania bulb they had. I now can't tell a difference between the two sides and the Sylvania is DOT approved. I'd convert to the housings that take replaceable bulbs and add relay switching.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Last photo:

The "cheesy" looking headlamps I am refering to are the blue tinted ones that try and mimick HID lighting. You can spot them a mile away. The ricer Honda Civic that has the blue tint to the headlamps for example. True HID lighting requires a ballast similiar to a flourecent lamp and the light produced is far whiter and brighter than any halogen bulb can produce. You can spot cars with HID lamps, like BMW ,Mercedes, Infinity and other high dollar cars. Sylvania makes some very good halogen lamps, but they are limited by what the DOT will let them market.

The Corvette Z06 guys are opting for the headlamps that are on the new Corvettes that are going to europe. They have glass lenses rather than polycarbonate and have a T84 bulb instead of the H4. The european headlamps also have a very sharp optical cutoff on the left side to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. You cannot just change out the bulb from an H4 to a T84, it will melt the poly housing and the wiring will not support it.

Vince
Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

1fast65Elky -- the Halogens I got are 7" round ... aren't yours? If not, you'll have to research and find the number that matches yours ... but, once you do, they should go right in - no mods.

PS - I have a song about my previous El Camino, titled Right As Rain

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 04-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

i just put 4 sirius housings in my 'cuda. AWESOME, the difference is unblievable! all alum. body polished, flat clear glass. the finest H4 replacements i have ever seen. not a plastic piece in the system. the relay is a snap. exceeds every expectation. 5 3/4" part number sirius NS-2214. comes with lights. i ordered mine from www.eurocullen.com. very exclusive housings, hard to get. i cant pushem any harder.

ZOOPS(new) are not as good quality and cost more!

company's site 7" description http://www.ns-sirius.com/style/conte...10138&id=15209

Last edited by spinn; 04-07-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I have the sylvania "cool blue" halogens in right now, there pretty good but my dads car has h4's in his car with the "silver star" (sylvania) bulbs, and i like those better (they're a more pure white) so I bought these headlights (dont really care for the clear ones) so I can put some silver stars in them.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.