How do I prevent dry spray and orange peel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How do I prevent dry spray and orange peel?

I am using this Harbor Freight, siphon feed, conventional spray gun. I am using Summit Racing epoxy primer. Temps around here are a bit humid, about 70 degrees. I have the gun set to 40 PSI

I set the gun up and spray two relatively thin wet coats and follow up with 2 more wet coats after the flash time.

I seem to have spots that have dry spray and others have some orange peel but it is random.

I sprayed an inner fender and some bumper to frame mount pieces. these had this problem.

I sprayed a fender and trunk, it looked perfect.

what should I be doing?

Advertisement

Last edited by rusthater89; 05-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
Sounds like it is simply technique. The larger panels where you can keep it wet going across are working out well and the pieces where you need to shoot from different angles to get into spots and what not is causing you to get dry spots.

Pretty hard to give much pointers on this one, you need to pay attention to laying it on the same everywhere and this is easier said than done, it takes practice.

Brian
Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Sounds like it is simply technique. The larger panels where you can keep it wet going across are working out well and the pieces where you need to shoot from different angles to get into spots and what not is causing you to get dry spots.

Pretty hard to give much pointers on this one, you need to pay attention to laying it on the same everywhere and this is easier said than done, it takes practice.

Brian
Yes, I try really hard to spray the inner fenders evenly but the angles are hard to keep with. I especially have a problem spraying the underside of the inner fenders.

Are the dry sprays due to me being to far away from the part I am spraying? Is this also my orange peel?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
Yes, it isn't wet enough. The problem, the balance you need to keep to spray it wet enough on something like that without spraying it too wet and getting runs. Overlap is the hardest part. You are spraying all kids of angles and hitting the same spots sometimes over and over, at that point it can get too much applied and run. It is a fine balance to spray something like that all over without doing this.

Brian
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Yes, it isn't wet enough. The problem, the balance you need to keep to spray it wet enough on something like that without spraying it too wet and getting runs. Overlap is the hardest part. You are spraying all kids of angles and hitting the same spots sometimes over and over, at that point it can get too much applied and run. It is a fine balance to spray something like that all over without doing this.

Brian
Right, Basically I have to maintain good overlap without spraying too much on one spot. So basically when I spray my other inner fender I will try to focus more on overlap to minimize dry spray.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Try and keep your gun 6-8 inches away with a 75% overlap, slow your spray speed down and watch it going on, you can tell if its going on dry or not, you want a nice wet film and the overspray will melt in.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks paint dude, So I want it to look wet but not have runs.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

more light

You need enough light to see what's happening. I used to hold a trouble light in one hand. probably not a good idea with all the flamable fumes . but I rode without a helmet, drank water from a hose, we didn't have seat belts, etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna do some more primer spraying tomorrow so I'll get more practice.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips everyone. My other inner fender came out great.

Now I gotta clean my eye glasses off, darn over spray got past my safety glasses.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

I'm also a novice painter and had to clean my glasses often. Then I bought a pair of these http://www.uline.com/BL_8952/Goggles, problem solved
Old 05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint dude
Try and keep your gun 6-8 inches away with a 75% overlap, slow your spray speed down and watch it going on, you can tell if its going on dry or not, you want a nice wet film and the overspray will melt in.
I'm not a pro painter by any stretch of the imagination, but that has got to be too close for a conventional siphon gun. Mine sprays good at a distance of about 12 inches and pressure around 45-50 psi with trigger pulled. Huge fan out too, probably 12 inches easy...not that you need that to paint inner fenders.

I think 6 to 8 on a siphon with that much pressure would guarantee runs

Andy
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

I must say that I hold the gun pretty close, closer than 6-8 inches. I move quickly and just keep overlapping. Might just be my gun setting but it seems to work for me.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Did a little painting this morning. I probably hold the gun more like 8 or 10 inches away, so I retract my statement. (siphon)

andy
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Just remember that if you are painting in your garage to beware of your hot water heater if its in there. As a retired Fire captain I have seen people blown own to the street when those fumes reach their ignition point. Also be sure you have a big enough air compressor. I bought 2 little ones and my paint would be dry in some spots and Ok in others. If your compressor is running all the time it's not keeping up. I bought a 80 gallon 7 hp compressor nd all the problems went away. Just my experience.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.