How do I put 1995 4L60E into a 1994 vehicle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How do I put 1995 4L60E into a 1994 vehicle?

Hi Guys, another question but this time i have pics.

i have this 4l60 trans from a 95 yukon that has a shift cable and these two electrical connections on the shifter shown below:

where as the 4l60 that is in the 94 truck has a simple rod linkage and no electrical on the shifter shown below:

Other than that, the two transmissions are identical. They both have the electrical plug in on the tail and large round connector on the passenger side but the 95 has the extra connections at the shifter.

Whats the most direct way to get that 95 transmission to work in the 94 truck? I'm sure I will possibly need a floor shifter to hook the cable shifter to but what about those electrical connections? Can I simply buy a $20 lockup solenoid kit from ebay or is more complex than that?

Your time is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

ok, its a bit more complicated than you think, that switch that your showing is a PRNDL switch (range sensor), which is not needed on the 94 as you have shown.
now this doesnt mean just yet that your cant run the 95, but your going to have to pull the pan on BOTH trannys and match up the electronics. while im pretty sure the 95 is a PWM unit, im not sure the 94 is.
this is listed from the parts book from transtar:
425D Solenoid, TCC & Wire Harness (Non PWM TCC & PWM 3-2) 6 Solenoid..................... 1 93-95 74425N 5D-173
425D Solenoid, TCC & Wire Harness (Blue Connector) (PWM TCC & 3-2)........................... 1 94-96 74425Q 5D-173A
it shows the possibility from what i see on these parts, but without matching things up inside, your going to have problems.
if by chance they both have the same electronics in the same places, then id say all you should have to do is change the manual arm shaft that goes through the case, along with the manual arm, and you wont have to buy any shifter/cable setups. just install.

i recommend pulling the pan on both trans, and take pics of each, with the filter removed, so we can see if theyre any different, then i can give you a more definite answer.
if by chance crosley chimes in, he will know right then because he knows them better than i do on the changes through the years.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

nine4gmc;

you are working on a 4L60E trans. Lock up kit is not even in the discussion for these transmissions. And, the 1995 unit and 1994 unit are not identical on internal operations for converter clutch control

You need to drop the pans, swap out the shift shaft linkage arms. The 1995 trans with the MLPS on it has a longer arm sticking out from the trans.

The 1995 trans has a PWM lock up system for the converter clutch. That will need addressed to replace the 1994 trans in the 1994 vehicle
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

ok after I swap shifter arms inside the trans, that will take care of it physically not fitting then what could i do about the pwm clutch?

i have the complete engine harness and computer from the 95, along with the trans but the 94 truck is tbi and running on its own ecm and though the harness has the same engine connections as the newer one, it has fusible links instead of an actual fuse/relay block like on the 95. i started hacking into it tracing the plugs on the side of the trans until earlier when i saw tnsmith10 said that was only the sift indicator plugs. would it be hard to piggy back the 95 ecm to run the trans.

sorry im such a noob, i am an upholsterer by trade but have done home/auto sound/security for years, custom air/hydraulic suspension as well, just never been inside an overdrive automatic trans other than to change the filter.

worste case, i guess i could do the shift arm swap then change the trucks complete dash, dash harness, engine harness and ecm over to 95.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

i figure you will end up with a cluster mess and the vehicle will never operate again by attempting to change all the dash electricals.

the 1994 ECM will operate the 1995 trans fine. You need to alter a few items inside the trans or rebuild the 1994 trans and save the work and possible grief

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.