Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I put a computer controlled engine in an older car?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 01:16 AM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm dropping a turbocharged, computer controlled, fuel injected 2.3 liter 4 cylinder into a '27 Model T roadster. The components are out of an '88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The wiring really isn't that difficult. I'm using the ECU, connector and engine compartment wiring harness from the Turbo Coupe. I have the factory wiring diagrams (picked up on Ebay).

First up is to make a pinout chart. A listing of every wire that connects through the connector to the ECU. There are 60 holes in the connector and probably 50 have wires. Remove the wires not needed. First remove the red retaining ring in the connector. Inside the little holes of the connector are tiny tabs that can be gently lifted up, unlocking the pins so you can remove the pins and wires through the rear. Off the top of my head the only wires you keep are for the variety of sensors, fuel injection harness, grounds, data port and a few others. The factory wiring diagram is your best friend here. The tricks are to be patient and be thorough. Make sure each wire goes where it's supposed to! My car is one of the older ones but you could do the same with a 50's or 60's car also. The computer basically runs just the engine and related components.