Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I put a computer controlled engine in an older car?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25

The one major item I'm not sure about is how it would work with a CAN Bus system like I have in my 2005 Mustang. The computer seems to be tied to just about everything, and I don't know how that affects the swap.
Bruce
The CAN system would only be a problem if the vehicle has an antitheft designed into it.
In that case you would need to run the module with the PCM that is in charge of the Anti theft, most of them are in the Body control module.So not really too big a problem. As long as you satisfy the BCM requirements to allow vehicle operation.
Running the powetrain module without the other associated modules from a vehicle would result in setting A batch of "U" codes or codes for loss of communication with any and all associated modules, still not a problem as in many cases it wont illuminate the Engine light( some will, some wont), it all depends on the system format,I wont go into detail about it though.

Also the CAN system does communicate the Gauges function information as well. The engine sensors ie: engine coolant temp, tach signal etc is all processed by the PCM and any pertanent info is passed along the CAN network, sorta like a party line telephone, any module needing the info recieves it, as the modules all have their own distinct "phone number" sort of to say.The instrument panel gets its info from the PCM and displays it accordingly.
Really pretty simple
Here is a link to a short compilation of how it works.
http://electrosofts.com/can/

I have entertained thought of putting a 4.6 litre ford in my pontiac from time to time, but for now I have a couple pontiac engines so I will keep it poncho for now.I do see a 200 4 r or a 700 r 4 in its future though
I know it sounds crazy , but I like the way the 4.6 sounds and runs, the mileage is good and it is so dependable, you cant beat it.Also it would be super easy to keep it well within emission standards that may happen to be implemented by the tree huggers in the future.

Last edited by latech; 11-20-2011 at 08:12 AM.