Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I quickly prep my garage for painting my car inside it?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You can build a plastic sheet booth using common sense and materials you can get pretty much anywhere. For mine I covered the roof joist since I had insulation up there and secured the plastic by stapling through small pieces of cardboard so the staples wouldn't pull through. Duct tape will seal up the seams. The real challenge is finding a good way to secure the plastic to the floor. Duct tape usually won't do it because of dust on the floors, no matter how much you clean. They'll need to be weighted down along their length.

Buy a couple of box fans to blow out the door. Seal the entire door with plastic and cut holes and seal the fans with duct tape. On the opposite end mount a couple of central heat filters the same way. 3 box fans on high and three or more filters would be better. You'll need to generate a lot of air flow to move the considerable fog out of the work environment.

Tips learned from experience: You need a LOT of lights. Several multi-tube florescent fixtures at a minimum. Once you start spraying the fog will make seeing well difficult, and the better you see the better your work will be. Also the walls of a temporary plastic booth like this will bow inward when set up this way(with the fan blowing out, making a vacuum) so make sure you have lots of extra room when you build the booth size.
You can set it up where you put a filter on the fan and blow into the booth so it has positive pressure. This reduces the chance that dust is pulled into the booth by the vacuum. But I have always used the fan blowing out because it's been more important for me to get all the fumes out of the entire garage. I've had good results using temp booths. Also remember that most trash found in paint is from the vehicle itself, so clean and blow off with compressed air as much as possible before you start shooting color. This is one reason a lot of guys like to epoxy and shoot color all through the interior. Just to lock down sources of dust that might get airborne when hit with the blast from the gun.
Good luck.
Bruce

Last edited by TNshadetree; 01-19-2011 at 09:04 AM.