How do I remove in-cab Gas Tank 69 C10? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How do I remove in-cab Gas Tank 69 C10?

I have some wrenching experience when it comes to older chevy's, but I have never removed an in-cab gas tank before.. I have all of the bolts out, and the passenger side of the tank is loose, but I dont know how to disconnect the filler hose on the driver's side Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

I am suppose to be leaving to go on tour tomorrow! Ive gone through everything else, except a carb rebuild, so I ran some seafoam through her and it must have freed up a leak--cab reeks of gas, and I found that it is coming out of the tank on the driver's side--some moisture/gas near the mounting bolt at the bottom grrrrr.

Also, on another note, i noticed a very small leak/seepage bubbling out right under where the distributor is mounted (6 cylinder 250c.i.)--is there a gasket there? Or could it be a crack ???

Please let me know if you have any answers on this, Id REALLY appreciate it. I need this good ol Chev to hold up on the road.. Ive replace the voltage regulator, battery, alternator, thermostat, belt, oil pan gasket, tires are good, new shocks, new filters, plugs, oil, etc, etc.. And these seem to be the only issues remaining..

Thanks in advance! Also, to listen to our music (good straight rock stuff go to http://www.CoreyBooth.com (cant help myself, gotta promote

thanks again.

Corey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

There is a good chance that you may have to lift the cab off the frame, but then again i have no experience doing this. Just a guess
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM

gas tank removal

Im pretty sure I wont have to raise the cab.. the only issue I am having is disconnecting the filler hose, which is in plain sight.. ive just never done it before, but im sure a lot of guys on here have, so i want to find out the correct way so i dont damage anything.. thanks anyway tho.

has anyone ever done this before that can tell me the right way to disconnect the hose???

thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I used a '60's vintage behind the seat GM tank as an aux tank for another truck - my recollection is that the rubber connecting hose needed to be cut as it was just too dang tight to come off plus it was hidden. Once I cut the hose, the tank came right out. Replacement gas tank hose can be sourced from any GOOD auto parts supply house - and is quite pricey for the min. foot length you will need to buy.

What's the seepage? Oil? Water? There is a seal on the distributor housing that in 40 years may have given its' all. If it's only a little bit of oil, do a repair when you have the time.

Dave W
Old 11-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Jesus loves you I don't...

Last photo:

Unbolt every mount, disconnect every hose, (I removed the sending unit when empty) make sure the tank is on E after you drain it from the main line at the fuel pump, (I assume the seat has been removed), lift the tank up on the passenger side up and work it out of the gromment (you don't really need to cut it unless you plan to replace) then work it out at an angle. It's a tilt pull out the passenger side door kind of move. Four hands are better than two.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.