Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I remove left power window mtr in '97 Chev pickup door?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
You will have to drill out the "special" rivets. Buy the new motor from GM and get the five rivets also. In fact, get a few extra because your going to bugger the first one up anyways until you get the correct tension down pat. You also need a large 22 inch pop rivet tool, a simple hand one won't do. When you drill out the rivets, have a piece of string cord looped around the rollers to catch the glass or it will fall and wedge in the track. It will take a few hours to do the job. Have GM parts print you out a schematic of the door parts to help guide you.
The problem is not the motor, but the screw assembly has worn out gears. That is why the motor tests out OK.
Thanks for the comment. I knew the motor had to be riveted in place and suspected that the hand held hardware rivet tool (with aluminum rivets) was not going to work. I gave up because the window was up and I needed to lower it to get the roller out of the track.
The long and short of it though is, believe it or not, I moved the truck this evening and the dang window goes up and down smoothly and without a loss of speed.
So clearly, a motor I do not need.
There must be a loose connection somewhere. The connections to the switch are good and the connections to the motor are tight also. There cannot be many other places where connections can be found....as I am looking at the wiring diagram........pg