how do I remove a rounded bolt on 305 manifold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how do I remove a rounded bolt on 305 manifold

Hey you hotrod pro's I have been trying to put a 350 in my 79 elk for longer than I care to admit. I am over my head but because of cash shortage here I am. My latest problem is a difficult bolt on the intake manifold. Anyone who knows the Chevy 305 will know the area that is giving me fits. Because of the lack of space I am not able to get a good fit with any tool and round off a couple of corners of the bolt. There is not much room because of the casting of the manifold. Can anyone give me some help on how to get this last bolt out?

Seasonís greetings

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 PM

I had a similar issue a couple of years back, I used a hammer and punch, drilled a small divot in the side of the bolt and tapped it loose. Someone might have a better method, but at the time, with my frustration level being what it was, it did the trick and let me move on
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 PM

rounded

if you'v got a mig welder zap a bolt or nut on onto broken 1 and undo with single hex socket [slowly undo] .. peter
Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 AM

Last photo:

I have used a die grinder to cut a straight slot across the top and then used a big screwdriver bit in a rachet.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM

If you have room to get a grinder in there you can grind off the head of the bolt and slide the manifold off then use vise grip pliers on the remaining part of the bolt
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

heat and oil

I like to heat them up a few times and squirt penetrating oil, cool down then use the other methods posted .
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Sears sell a "Gotor-grip" socket. Although a cheezy as seen on TV item, I have found it works well on rounded bolts. It's about $10 and pretty usefull.

Otherwise all of the tips above work well. I prefer cutting a slot in the top for a screwdriver bit. Just make sure to blow the area clean before llifting off the manifold so no grinding dust gets in the engine below.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Post subject: Penetrating oil test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penetrating oil test.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ............. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench .. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.*
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_and_slow
Hey you hotrod pro's I have been trying to put a 350 in my 79 elk for longer than I care to admit. I am over my head but because of cash shortage here I am. My latest problem is a difficult bolt on the intake manifold. Anyone who knows the Chevy 305 will know the area that is giving me fits. Because of the lack of space I am not able to get a good fit with any tool and round off a couple of corners of the bolt. There is not much room because of the casting of the manifold. Can anyone give me some help on how to get this last bolt out?

Seasonís greetings
The bolts you speak of are in the center of the manifold correct?, first clean all the gunk out from around it.
Next take a 6 point box box wrench and try and get on to it, if not often you can use a good 6 point socket and a extension that has some slop or a flex tip on it, if the carb is off.

Last tip try using a 14mm wrench or socket its just bit smaller than 9/16
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM

stuburn manifold bolt on 305

Hey folks. Thanks for all your good ideas. some were on the net I found an explanation on the difference between a 16 and 8 point wrench. so I found a 9/16 with 8 points and a 3/8 drive. Thought I would breake the ratchet but it did the trick.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.