How do I replace strut rod bushings?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post How do I replace strut rod bushings??

I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvadear II with the torsion bar suspension. The strut rod bushing on the driver's side has cracked up and fallen off the car. I would like to replace this but I am not sure how to do it. This is different than most other cars I have worked on. The front of the strut rod looks normal but the back part of the rod disappears into the lower cotrol arm. It appears that it may thread into this some way. Not sure. Can anyone walk me thru the procedure. Plymouth suspension was the same from 1963 to 1969 acording to my Motor's manual which gives no description on how to do this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2002, 08:24 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I took a look in my 1970 Motors manual. It has an exploded diagram of the suspension of your car. Mine covers 65-71, all the same except Imperial. The strut rod is threaded on the control arm end. Look on the opposite side of the cotnrol arm for a nut. If the bracket at the front of the strut rod comes off, or the crossmember up there comes off, it will be a simple job. If not looks like the lower control arm has to come off, and that could be quite a job! The torsion bar will have to be removed.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

strut rod replace

i have a 63 ply bel and need to replace strut rods (ones bent) lower control arm must come off in order to press out strut bushing, dont think you will get enought wiggle room if you get nuts off to drive it out ? i am prepared for the worst.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.