How do I replace strut rod bushings?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 663
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Post How do I replace strut rod bushings??

I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvadear II with the torsion bar suspension. The strut rod bushing on the driver's side has cracked up and fallen off the car. I would like to replace this but I am not sure how to do it. This is different than most other cars I have worked on. The front of the strut rod looks normal but the back part of the rod disappears into the lower cotrol arm. It appears that it may thread into this some way. Not sure. Can anyone walk me thru the procedure. Plymouth suspension was the same from 1963 to 1969 acording to my Motor's manual which gives no description on how to do this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2002, 07:24 PM
farna's Avatar
Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Age: 55
Posts: 1,716
Wiki Edits: 14

Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts

I took a look in my 1970 Motors manual. It has an exploded diagram of the suspension of your car. Mine covers 65-71, all the same except Imperial. The strut rod is threaded on the control arm end. Look on the opposite side of the cotnrol arm for a nut. If the bracket at the front of the strut rod comes off, or the crossmember up there comes off, it will be a simple job. If not looks like the lower control arm has to come off, and that could be quite a job! The torsion bar will have to be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: richfield ohio
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strut rod replace

i have a 63 ply bel and need to replace strut rods (ones bent) lower control arm must come off in order to press out strut bushing, dont think you will get enought wiggle room if you get nuts off to drive it out ? i am prepared for the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.