How do I set the timing on a TBI 350 small block? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How do I set the timing on a TBI 350 small block?

I've got a 86 S10 w/ a 350 throttlebodied and have had timing issues from the second I got the engine running. It also has a mild cam. I keep putting everything on top dead center and try to get the timing down, but it's never run quite right. So I need to know how to get RIGHT. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What ignition system are you using, the stock distributor, and computer control, or aftermarket?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM

it's a stock ignition

Last edited by stewartfn1; 08-16-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Have you disconnected the check timing connecter, and set the base timing to zero?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:09 PM

yes, but I've that's as far as I've gone.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

One thought I have, is the cam to crank timing.

The computer will control your timing curve, using the information from the PROM in it. By just disconnecting the battery to clear codes....etc. It will not reset the PROM to it's factory settings. In order to do this, you need to disconnect both battery cables, and touch them together for 30 seconds, or so.

This PROM is a programmable random memory chip, that learns as you drive. You can order performance programed ones of these, from places like this.
http://tbichips.com The best bet right now, would be to try to reset yours like I described, and see if it starts to run better after 50-100 miles, with your new setup.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartfn1
I've got a 86 S10 w/ a 350 throttlebodied and have had timing issues from the second I got the engine running. It also has a mild cam. I keep putting everything on top dead center and try to get the timing down, but it's never run quite right. So I need to know how to get RIGHT. Thanks!
Most likely the problem is the chip. It controls the fuel and ignition curves, but the cam changes everything. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) managed EFI systems, of which TBI is one, are very sensitive to the relationship of manifold pressure (think vacuum to keep the approach simple) to throttle opening angle and RPM. A hotter cam changes these relationships which causes the computer to look in the wrong places of the fuel and ignition schedules. It doesn't take much of a cam or rocker arm ratio change a displacement or compression ratio change, a change to the CFM capacity of the throttle body, headers and duals, removal of the cats, etc. to start getting into trouble. Keep in mind that changes are additive to the problem, more changes, bigger the error of the PROM trying to match inputs against schedules to determine outputs.

This requires a custom PROM be made that redefines where on the schedules the computer looks for fuel and ignition values for the given references of manifold vacuum to throttle opening to RPMs to transmission gearing, etc . Also, if the overall final drive ratio changes, such as the effects of gear and tire size changes, the computer also needs to be reprogrammed for this. Just google "custom chips" and tons of shops will show up.

Note, there are people who will tell you the computer has learning capability, it does but it is very small. Block Point Learn as it's called is only intended to compensate for production line component variations from part to part, it does not have the capacity to deal with things like camshaft, header, compression ratio, gearing, etc. type of changes and it only works if you have a functioning O2 sensor and the computer is able to enter Closed Loop mode.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.