How Do I Stitch Up A Roll Bar Cover?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How Do I Stitch Up A Roll Bar Cover??

HI GUYS- I'M NEW HERE BUT I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR TECH ARTICLES FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND I MUST SAY THAT THE INFO HERE HAS BEEN TREMENDOUSLY HELPFUL- I'M DOING A RESTOMOD 69 DODGE CORONET 500 CONVERTIBLE AND I INSTALLED A TARGA STYLE ROLL BAR ( I DIDN'T WANT TO BUTCHER THE CAR) AND I WANTED TO INSTALL A NICE LEATHER LOOKING STYLE COVER OVER THE PADDING OF THE BAR. I WAS PLANNING ON BUYING THE MATERIAL FROM WALMART, AS IT HAS THE LOOK AND FEEL THAT I WANT, AND IT'S SEMI STRETCHY, SO IT HAS SOME GIVE TO WORK WITH.....I'M NOT A NOVICE AT THIS GAME AND I DO HAVE SOME GREAT TECH MYSELF, BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THE 90* TURNS IN VINYL AT THE TOP OF THE BAR? SHOULD I CUT "L" PATTERNS FROM CARDBOARD FOR THE TRANSITION FROM HORIZ. TO VERT,? WHAT ABOUT VELCRO FOR ATTACHMENT? SNAPS? ZIPPER? I DON'T WANT ANY BUNCHING IN THE INSIDE OF THE TURN AND I HAVE BEEN CHECKING OUT DANTWOLAKES' ARTICLES AND I HAVE USED SOME OF THOSE TIPS AND HAVE WORKED WELL- ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREAT- THANKS GUYS!!!

HERE'S A PIC OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE......

Advertisement

Last edited by SUPERBIRD540; 12-05-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

My wife is a seamstress and has done my rollcage in my car. She setup her machine right in my shop and proceeded to cut, fit, and sew right there. She sewed vel-cro to both sides, loop and hook. Then it was easy to take off and adjust if necessary. Mine was done in suede tho, not leather.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBIRD540
HI GUYS- I'M NEW HERE BUT I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR TECH ARTICLES FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND I MUST SAY THAT THE INFO HERE HAS BEEN TREMENDOUSLY HELPFUL- I'M DOING A RESTOMOD 69 DODGE CORONET 500 CONVERTIBLE AND I INSTALLED A TARGA STYLE ROLL BAR ( I DIDN'T WANT TO BUTCHER THE CAR) AND I WANTED TO INSTALL A NICE LEATHER LOOKING STYLE COVER OVER THE PADDING OF THE BAR. I WAS PLANNING ON BUYING THE MATERIAL FROM WALMART, AS IT HAS THE LOOK AND FEEL THAT I WANT, AND IT'S SEMI STRETCHY, SO IT HAS SOME GIVE TO WORK WITH.....I'M NOT A NOVICE AT THIS GAME AND I DO HAVE SOME GREAT TECH MYSELF, BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THE 90* TURNS IN VINYL AT THE TOP OF THE BAR? SHOULD I CUT "L" PATTERNS FROM CARDBOARD FOR THE TRANSITION FROM HORIZ. TO VERT,? WHAT ABOUT VELCRO FOR ATTACHMENT? SNAPS? I HAVE BEEN CHECKING OUT DANTWOLAKES' ARTICLES AND I HAVE USED SOME OF THOSE TIPS AND HAVE WORKED WELL- ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREAT- THANKS GUYS!!!

I'LL POST PICS OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE LATER TODAY...
First of all, welcome to the Hotrodders bulletin board and thanks for the compliments. And......could you please not post in all capital letters. It makes it seem like you're YELLING AT US. Thanks.

The 90 degree turns can be made in two ways. You can cut large "V" cuts in one long piece of fabric, or you can do it in three pieces with angle cuts at the corners. The picture shows the 2nd way very crudely done, but you get the idea. As far as closing it, that's pretty much a personal preference. There are snaps that come in colors to match your fabric, or you can use chrome snaps. Velcro will give you complete closure and will look smoother. You could also use a large #5 or #10 marine separating zipper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	34777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	34778  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

hi- why thank you for the fast reply- good idea as i have come to expect from this quality msg board!!! I'll give that a try and if you have any other great suggestions they're always welcomed.......can i post a link to my website here as i have a lot of good ideas and great cars and would like to share them, and we are also in the development stage for some great stuff for vintage mopar muscle cars.....thanks once again, and sorry for the caps- bad habit.....regards, SB540........

here's a pic of one of my toys- 63 dodge 440 wagon w/ 440, 4spd, 355 gears..
Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You can't post a link to your website if you're selling something, but you can put your web site in your profile and refer people to that. I like your 440 440!

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-06-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 AM

Last photo:

Thank you- i have read the guidelines and have added the appropriate URL to my profile.......there's some cool stuff on our site and came here to learn more (hey, I'm 41 but ya can never know enough!) when i wanted a more finished look for a roll bar than just straight tubing....KNOWLEDGE IS POWER....thanks again guys for the good tips- went to Wally Mart (never go at 12:30am- you'll be there all nite- i learned this the hard way!) and bought all the stuff i needed and will have a go at it this week- in scraps first to test my mettle, then the real deal when i got it right.........Cheers & b back soon.....SB540

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.