How do I succesfully shoot epoxy in colder weather - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 04:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How do I succesfully shoot epoxy in colder weather

All,

I had planned to start stripping my Firebird this Winter a panel at a time and shooting with Epoxy primer as each panel was stripped. However, I just read one of the threads about epoxy and how it won't "kick" in cold weather (note: planning to use SPI). I was planning to shoot in my two car unheated garage. Can I simply try to heat the panels with a space heater (or even a heat gun), and keep the paint indoors until I am ready to mix or do I really need to wait until warmer weather? I am in Dallas, and while our winters aren't exactly cold they aren't balmy. As a point of reference, here are our predicted temps for the next few days (low/high)

Tue - 38/58
Wed - 34/58
Thu - 31/56
Fri - 32/54
Sat - 38/52
Sun - 47/62
Mon - 44/64

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
boatbob2

painting epoxy primer

Hi,i have painted quite a few boats and cars using epoxy products.call your paint distributer and ask if they have a cool or cold weather reducer for the brand of paint you are going to use. DO NOT mix brands of paint products. i would put a heater in the garage over nite,and warm up car and garage.it will spray better warm,and start getting hard quickly hope this helps. Bob
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

SPI

This will answer ANY questions reguarding SPI products.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Keeping the paint in a warm storage will help and you do need to get the metal up to 65 or 70 and keep it there until the paint flashes and sets..
In the winter or during cold weather fellows use a number of strategy's to get the metal warm..

Having one of the "no touch" thermometers is essential as that will give you the actual metal temp...

Sam

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 12-04-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

According to what I read, Polar Accelerator should never be used with epoxy primer. Sorry...

Aaron

http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=644&mforum=spi
Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Sam, I don't think polar was designed for use in epoxy-not positive but I think it's only for urethane products, maybe Barry will chime in and advise. Or this has probably been discussed/answered on the user's forum. Cab, you need to get the metal temperature up before spraying, preferrably 60-80degrees F, you can fill a bucket with some hot water and set the can of epoxy and also the activator in the hot water to safely heat them up before mixing. If you can get the primer on while the temperature is good and allow it to set in good temps for 4-6hours you'll be off to a good start, keeping the panel at 60+ will allow it to cure well. All paint products need good temps for curing, urethanes, enamels, polyesters,and lacquer products.... epoxy is no exception but is especially suseptable to problems because of the slow rate of cure. The advantages epoxy offers is well worth the effort. A person just can't do good work in the cold, period. I bet your temperatures will come back up in Dallas, aren't you having unusual cold weather right now? Bob
http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=644&mforum=spi

Last edited by baddbob; 12-05-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab
All,

I had planned to start stripping my Firebird this Winter a panel at a time and shooting with Epoxy primer as each panel was stripped. However, I just read one of the threads about epoxy and how it won't "kick" in cold weather (note: planning to use SPI). I was planning to shoot in my two car unheated garage. Can I simply try to heat the panels with a space heater (or even a heat gun), and keep the paint indoors until I am ready to mix or do I really need to wait until warmer weather? I am in Dallas, and while our winters aren't exactly cold they aren't balmy. As a point of reference, here are our predicted temps for the next few days (low/high)

Tue - 38/58
Wed - 34/58
Thu - 31/56
Fri - 32/54
Sat - 38/52
Sun - 47/62
Mon - 44/64

Thanks!
Rent or buy a infrared heater, could be electric, propane, natural gas, or heat lamps (NOT Halogens, infrared bulbs) this will heat the object and the object will radiate a small amout heat - it's also awesome for quick drying the primer.

A smaller one won't heat your garage - but would get you by I think to do your parts....

Something like this you could make your own stand so you could move it around and position it correctly

Grainger 550w Infrared Heater

OR here's another link to Infratech Standard Medium Wave Systems and several of the types of infrared lights I mentioned - these are more expensive than the Grainger unit - but maybe you could find a rental place for one of these styles?

Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Electric blanket
Old 12-05-2006, 07:15 AM

You have to be careful.

Talk to the manufacturer of the paint you are using.

I called PPG.

I was told if you shoot PPG concept and allow it to go below 55* than it will stop the chemical process that cures the paint and will not restart after the tempuratures rise.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:15 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I heard it has to stay warm for a minimum of 4 hours to cure.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

I was going to suggest the same thing is rambo, but was waiting to see what others would say. An infrared heat lamp may be just the ticket if you are only doing a part at the time. Like he said, it won't warm the whole garage or the air, but will warm objects quickly as well as cure the primer. I think you can find one a little over the $100 range. Just be carefull about placing it too close or too soon, as well of with any plastic parts. I don't know what kind of explosion hazzard these might have, but would think would be less then if you ran any type of heater with a flame. I still don't think I'd have it on if there is a bunch of overspray flying. You can heat just that part and think put it on before priming and not too long after.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.