How do I tell what starter to get? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How do I tell what starter to get?

I'm doing a engine swap in a truck from a v6 to a 305 that had a turbo 400 transmission and we got the old flywheel off the v6 but forgot to get the starter since the guy we were selling the old v6 to was there as we were pulling it.

So I was wondering can I just count the teeth on the flywheel and then go down to like pep boys or something similar and get a starter based off that? Or maybe just tell them the kind of transmission? Since everything is sitting in there right now, but I could pull the transmission and look at the torque converter if I need to. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The starter needs to match the flywheel. If it is still out get the part # off the flywheel and look it up. It will tell you how many teeth it is.

Chet
Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Which starter? Good question.

As you know, the starter drive gear must match the flex-plate ring gear.

The 14.130" OD flex plates have 168 teeth and use a starter with offset starter bolts.

The 12.750" OD flex plates have 153 teeth and use a starter with in-line starter bolts.

Note: Most SB Chevy engines will have both starter bolt patterns and can use either starter if the appropriate flex plate is used.

Pre-1986 crank to flex-plate bolt pattern is 3.580" OD and s found on a crank with a 2-piece rear main seal.

1986-up crank to flex-plate bolt pattern is 3.000" OD and is found on a crank with a 1-piece rear main seal.

The 1986 engines could have either a 1-piece or a 2-piece rear main seal. The torque converter bolt pattern could be either 10.750" OD or 11.000" OD depending on which automatic transmission the flex plate was attached to. The torque converter I used in my 1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L V6 was a Pioneer 871006 with 168 teeth and had both torque converter bolt patterns.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info! Actually that info helped a lot I simply just went down to NAPA and picked up a starter from a 90' C3500 that had offset starter bolts and went with a sbc and it works like a charm with the flex plate that was originally on my th400. So thanks for the help! Plus that was a lot easier then replacing the flex plate.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.