Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   how do i use the 6 volt gauges on a 12 volt system (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-do-i-use-6-volt-gauges-12-volt-system-20003.html)

cardsrusa 07-22-2003 08:04 PM

how do i use the 6 volt gauges on a 12 volt system

Hey Guy and gals. Does enyone know how I can use my original gauges in my 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Sports Coupe. That has a 6 volt wiring system when I change it to a 12 volt system. Should I use a voltage regulator under the dash to reduse the volts from 12 to 6 when it enters the gauges. Or will then gauges work on a 12 volt system.

thanks for the help John:confused:

Walker 07-23-2003 12:50 AM

That is about what I did on my 48 Ford. I used a ballast resistor to burn up the extra 6 volts. They are available at NAPA, I think mine was for a chrysler.BTW change all your light bulbs BEFORE you start it back up, Don't ask me how I know this. Oh, also, Those resistors get HOT they also smoke when new , don't be alarmed.

cardsrusa 07-23-2003 09:59 AM

thanks

hey walker thanks that should be great. I'm triing to keep the original look to the dash. So that should help alot.

thanks again john:D

Jag Daddy 07-26-2003 02:06 PM

You might want to look into an electronic regulator. they are not to tough to wire for gauges and small stuff BUT anything with high current loads will need more brute force i.e. BIG resistors.

I'll look in my curcuits and see what I have for a 12 to 6 volt regulator. One thing if you use and electronic regulator your voltage will be very stable, the resistor curcuit will fluxuate with the input voltage. There is also a thing called a Voltage divider circuit that is a little more complicated to wire for each gauge but it will work too. If your interested I'll calculate one up

Regards
Mark

4t9er 07-26-2003 11:18 PM

6 volt guages

:spank: I dis-assembled my guages and rebuilt them with mopar units. Bolted in with very minor tweaks needed. 9er:nono:

Dawger 07-27-2003 12:25 AM

Hey john
When I changed my 52 fleetline to 12 volts The only gage that required avoltage drop was the fuel gage. The oil press is mecanical so is the temp. the amp gage will work fine on 12 v. I believe your 48 is the same. I made my own 6-V voltage regulator with radio shack parts. I could send you schematic If you would like. Easier would be finding a gas gage voltage regulator from the junk yard or parts store. Most modern cars use 5-6V for the fuel gage. My system is still working fine after 2 years. I still havent changed the dash lite bulbs. I just keep the dimmer turned down low.
Best of luck on your swap Dawger

Kevin45 07-27-2003 03:12 PM

whatever you do don't mount a ballast resistor under the dash. they get very hot so any plastic, cloth. etc, that comes in contact with it stands a chance on catching fire. for safety purposes mount it out on the firewall somewhere.

kevin