how do I wire this distributor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 10:35 PM
gmwillys

Wiki Edits: 0

how do I wire this distributor?

I have a chevy 4.3L with a HEI and am running a carbureator with no computer. The distributor has the usual bat. and tach. terminals, but it also has a 4 wire plug on the back side that I assume is for a computer hook-up.
Can I disregard this? the distributor has vacuum advance, so I don't have to worry about electronic advancement. If these 4 wires are essencial, How do I wire them?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Does this have the terminals in addition to the connector that goes down to the dizzy itself? Is this a pre or post 1980 HEI?

On a pre 1980 HEI, One plug should go to the ECM and Magnetic pickup INSIDE the Dizzy, The Batt terminal should go to the ignition uninterrupted switched power..The Tach wire should go to the Tach, Tach buffer, or Tach amp (depending on the type Tach used)

Doc
Old 12-28-2005, 11:15 PM
gmwillys

how do I wire

The terminal is IN ADDITION to the 3 wire going into the dist. body. This is plugged in and the bat. and tach. are wired normally. I haven't tried to start the engine yet. The HEI is 85-87 year vintage. This is a 6 cyl. so I can't substitute. Anyway, thanks for the swift reply, Doc.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

You will need to go with a pre 1980 dizzy then if you are not running a confuser...bone yard is a good source...

Doc
Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 PM
gmwillys

how do I wire

No such animal, Doc. 4.3's are 80's engines. I do have one from a factory carbueratored engine, but that has the same set up.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

So why can't you use a Dizzy out of a 1979 3.8 Buick regal? It should be the same..and in fact, AC Cardone lists the 2, 5 numbers apart...1630 and 1635

Look into it..just a guess, but I'll bet their mechanically interchangeable.

Doc
Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

HEI wiring questions.

I hope y'all don't mind the thread jack, but I have similar questions.

I have a '72 LeMans with a mid-70's HEI with vacuum advance. I have taken the top of the dist. apart to change out the vacuum advance and the coil.

There are 2 plugs that go into(underneath) the cap. The plug closest to the rotor has I think 3 wires. The plug on the outside has 2 bays. One has a red wire (I assume a hot lead) that corresponds with the red wire on the coil.

Two questions. First: There is no wire or spade connection for the tang within the plug for the "Yellow" wire side of the 2-bay plug. I dont remember seeing anything here before I took it apart, is there supposed to be one (yellow wire connection)?

Secondly: the red wire pulled out of the crimped end of the plug!! Can the crimped tang part be pulled out of the plug without breaking it? Or, any better (reliable) way to reconnect the wire into the plug other than just with needle nose pliers?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 PM
gmwillys

how do I wire

Doc, thanks for th tip on the 3.8 Buick. I'll check that out. Also, someone said I might be able to put the 3.8 module in my present dist.. Is that feasible??
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwillys
Doc, thanks for th tip on the 3.8 Buick. I'll check that out. Also, someone said I might be able to put the 3.8 module in my present dist.. Is that feasible??

Doc here,

Yeah, I actually thought about that after I posted here. If the Module and Mag pickup are wired the same as a standard cap/coil combo..and you have the ability to convert to mechanical advance, I don't see why it wouldn't Work....

Doc
Old 12-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Outside of the wear parts, nothing interchanges on a 3.8, and a 4.3 distributor. The 3.8 body is bigger around, and the shaft much shorter than a 4.3.

If you have a 4 wire plug on the body below the cap, or a 4 wire harness with a plug about 1 1/2" wise, you need an ESC module.

If it does have a vacuum advance, you can switch the parts inside the distributor to the early module and pickup to eliminate the ESC.

In truth, I have never seem one with both an ESC, and a vacuum advance, but any thing is possible.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-BodyFan
I hope y'all don't mind the thread jack, but I have similar questions.

I have a '72 LeMans with a mid-70's HEI with vacuum advance. I have taken the top of the dist. apart to change out the vacuum advance and the coil.

There are 2 plugs that go into(underneath) the cap. The plug closest to the rotor has I think 3 wires. The plug on the outside has 2 bays. One has a red wire (I assume a hot lead) that corresponds with the red wire on the coil.

Two questions. First: There is no wire or spade connection for the tang within the plug for the "Yellow" wire side of the 2-bay plug. I don't remember seeing anything here before I took it apart, is there supposed to be one (yellow wire connection)?

Secondly: the red wire pulled out of the crimped end of the plug!! Can the crimped tang part be pulled out of the plug without breaking it? Or, any better (reliable) way to reconnect the wire into the plug other than just with needle nose pliers?

Thanks!
Doc here,

Are we talking about the Module and Mag pickup ON the inside of the dizzy? (not the cap side?)

If that's the case, you really need to replace the harness, (bone yard item unless you have a rich uncle..) It has become hard and brittle, and will crack and jump fire as time goes on..and will cause a litany of problems in the future that you will pull your hair out trying to run down.

I looked up a kit for your car..first off, It lists a 72 Le mans as a points type ignition..so someone changed it out, then I looked up a few years later, (1975) and did not find a stock Re harness kit..I did find one for a Mallory Performance kit, that comes ONLY with upgraded ECM, and Mag pickup as well as hot coil...It's (Now hold on to your socks folks..) a mere $350 bucks!!

SOOOOOOO best shot is go to the boneyard, and find a whole HEI with a good flexible harness, and all the parts you may need in future...for like $35 bucks..Much better than taking out a second mortgage on your first born male child...

Doc
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Yellow wire- missing by design?

Doc, thanks for your reply.

You are correct, the car had HEI added by a P.O.- year unknown- assumed '75-'80 HEI. The clips and wires I am referring to are directly related to the coil. The red and the yellow coil wires have two tangs each that fit into the cubic "knob" that hangs off the rotor cap at the coil. The 3rd black ground wire grounds to the coil 'frame'.

2 plugs snap into the 'knob' on the underside. The plug closest to the body of the cap is multi-wired and is OK. The wiring within the distributor (under the cap) is OK--therefore I think the firstborn is safe.

The outermost plug contains a red wire and nothing else. I'm assuming that in my application there is no need to hook up to the yellow side? The other thing going on is that the end of the red wire came loos of the one crimped spade that is inside the plug. Im trying to figure out a good safe way of getting it back in and snug.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Doc, thanks for your reply.

You are correct, the car had HEI added by a P.O.- year unknown- assumed '75-'80 HEI. The clips and wires I am referring to are directly related to the coil. The red and the yellow coil wires have two tangs each that fit into the cubic "knob" that hangs off the rotor cap at the coil. The 3rd black ground wire grounds to the coil 'frame'.

2 plugs snap into the 'knob' on the underside. The plug closest to the body of the cap is multi-wired and is OK. The wiring within the distributor (under the cap) is OK--therefore I think the firstborn is safe.

The outermost plug contains a red wire and nothing else. I'm assuming that in my application there is no need to hook up to the yellow side? The other thing going on is that the end of the red wire came loos of the one crimped spade that is inside the plug. Im trying to figure out a good safe way of getting it back in and snug.

Thanks.
Doc here,

Ok, I think I know what were talking about here, now...

First the red Plug, you can get at the autoparts store, just ask for an HEI "BATT" pigtail..thay should have it..

The Yellow? wire , is that next to the BATT wire..If so, it's the Tach wire (and it should actually be white..), and If you don't have one..you don't need the terminal.

Is this what you mean?

Doc
Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

a tach, eh

Okay, a tach wire, that might 'splain things. Thanks for setting me straight.

Both the original AC Delco coil and the replacement coil have a red yellow and black wire. However, in the new coil replacement instructions, they show it as red, black and yellow/white.

I look forward to getting it back together tonight!

To extrapolate from this, if I were to get an aftermarket tach, could I just plug it into that yellow terminal and be ready to go? I've only had factory tachs on FoMoCo products, so I am not sure how to hook up a tach on my Poncho.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Okay, a tach wire, that might 'splain things. Thanks for setting me straight.

Both the original AC Delco coil and the replacement coil have a red yellow and black wire. However, in the new coil replacement instructions, they show it as red, black and yellow/white.

I look forward to getting it back together tonight!

To extrapolate from this, if I were to get an aftermarket tach, could I just plug it into that yellow terminal and be ready to go? I've only had factory tachs on FoMoCo products, so I am not sure how to hook up a tach on my Poncho.

Thanks!
Doc here,

Yup...

that will be your Tach input wire..as I remember..you are right, the COIL side is yellow, the plug side (car harness) is white.

Let us know how it runs!

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.