How do I Wire in a Trinary switch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How do I Wire in a Trinary switch

I am building a custom 67 FORD truck. I have installed a BeCool radiator with 2 small fans. They came with (2) 30 amp relays for the fans, and a 3rd relay to work the fans when the A/C calls for cooling. My problem is understanding how to wire in the trinary switch. The switch has 2 black/green wires; and 2 blue wires. It says one blue wire goes to a 10 amp key on power source (i did that). Next the 2nd blue wire goes to the 85 terminal on the relay (which is a blue wire). Next the 3rd wire is black/green goes to the compressor clutch. Next the 4th wire is black/green goes to the Evaporator. I do not know where on the Evaporator to attack it. I have a blue wire that runs from the mode switch at the dash and goes to the compressor clutch. This is the wire that I must splice the 3rd black/green wire into.

The A/C unit is a HOTROD AIR. My next question is am I making this to difficult? Do I need to hook the A/C unit in to the fans. Seems there is a easier way to do this. Can you help. I would like to upload the wire diagrams but I do not know how to do that either. If someone would like me to mail a copy of the diagrams, I will do that. I really want to learn this.

Thanks a lot

Kirk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

I used this diagram on installing my airconditioner, Might help you out as well.
http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsS...%20Diagram.pdf
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

kleen 56

I will try open the file on tues. morning at work. Could not open it at home.

Thanks
Kirk
Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

Kirk,

I was looking at the wiring diagram for your radiator fans on the Be-Cool website. Because you have a trinary switch, the AC relay setup they show in their diagram is unnecessary.

Using a trinary switch can improve system performance, extend the life of the radiator fan, and in this case simplify the wiring substantially.

In your case, all you need to do to hook-up the trinary switch is this:

Assuming all is wired according to the manufacturers diagram EXCEPT for the AC relay and related wiring. Follow the manufacturers dual fan non-AC wiring diagram.

The two blue wires on the trinary switch are the fan switch. Connect one of them to ground, and connect the other either directly to the temp switch, or splice it into one of the gray temp sensor wires. (yours should be gray)

Then hook-up the trinary switch's other tho wires (the compressor switch) as shown in the diagram that kleen56 linked to.

For reference, here is a diagram of how I wire electric radiator fans:

Hope this helps.

Joe G.

Last edited by Joe G; 01-13-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkschopped67
....and a 3rd relay to work the fans when the A/C calls for cooling. My problem is understanding how to wire in the trinary switch. The switch has 2 black/green wires; and 2 blue wires. It says one blue wire goes to a 10 amp key on power source (i did that). Next the 2nd blue wire goes to the 85 terminal on the relay (which is a blue wire).
This will work just fine to run the fan, but could be simplified as stated in my last post.
Quote:
Next the 3rd wire is black/green goes to the compressor clutch.

Next the 4th wire is black/green goes to the Evaporator. I do not know where on the Evaporator to attach it.
I have a blue wire that runs from the mode switch at the dash and goes to the compressor clutch. This is the wire that I must splice the 3rd black/green wire into.
The Hotrod Air website didn't have a wiring diagram available to be downloaded. But on every system I've ever seen, the trinary switch is connected to the temp switch. The blue wire from the mode switch should probably go to one terminal of the temp switch, and the black/green wire from the trinary connects to the other terminal.

Sometimes the temp switch is in the control panel, other times it's mounted to the side of the evaporator case.

Good luck.

Joe G.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

If you have a themostat attached to the AC unit under the dash, the hi/low pressure wires will connect between the AC t-stat and the compressor.

If you are not sure where the t-stat is----could also just tie it to the existing AC clutch signal wire.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Thank you guys, When I get home tonight I will begin to relate this info to my system. It is more than likely really easy once I understand it. Right now I feel like this

Thanks
Kirk
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Joe

Following your diagram: one blue wire going to the temp sensor, and the 2nd blue wire going to the ground. Kleen56 shows one black/green wire going to the clutch, and the 2nd black/green wire going to the 86 pin on the relay. Is this right? On my relay they do not have the pins numbered. 86 should be what wire.

According to your post I should remove the 3rd relay and wire into ONE of the remaining relays. Is this right.

Thank you for the help
Kirk
Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkschopped67
....Following your diagram: one blue wire going to the temp sensor, and the 2nd blue wire going to the ground.
Correct
Quote:
Kleen56 shows one black/green wire going to the clutch, and the 2nd black/green wire going to the 86 pin on the relay. Is this right?
Are we looking at the same diagram? I see no relay connected to the black/green wires in the diagram kleen56 linked to.
Quote:
According to your post I should remove the 3rd relay and wire into ONE of the remaining relays. Is this right.
Yes the Be-Cool A/C relay setup is unnecessary in you application. And since both the trigger wires for both of the fan relays are connected to one another at the temp sender, grounding either one of the temp sender wires will trigger both relays and thus both fans. The trinary switch (fan section - blue wires) will ground the existing temp sensor wire(s) when it trips, which will make the fans come on, just as the the temp sender, when it switches to ground triggers both relays.

Just to review, wire the radiator fans exactly as shown on the Be-Cool website for a non-air conditioned application. Then take one of the two blue wires on the trinary switch and connect it to your temp switch (on the radiator or engine - wherever it is), and connect the other blue wire on the trinary switch to ground.

The Black/green wires on the trinary switch are the cycling switch for the compressor clutch. One of them goes directly to the A/C clutch, and the other one goes to the temp selector under the dash. (this is what I see on kleen56's link)

Clarification:
My choice of terminology in the previous posts may have been confusing. The temp switch came with the radiator fans and mounts in the radiator or on the engine. I should have referred to the A/C temp switch as the thermostat switch or the temp selector. It is the on on the A/C controls or the evaporator case.

Hope this answers your questions.
I have a tendency to over-explain things in the interest of clarity. Let me know if anything else I said was confusing.

Joe G.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Joe

That is very clear now. I just need to locate the thermostat switch, or temp switch to wire the last black/green wire to. I will try to identify that tonight when I get back home.

Thank you guys for the diagrams and explanations. This will help me and everyone else.

Thanks again

Kirk

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.