How do I wire up a Kenwood sub woofer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How do I wire up a Kenwood sub woofer?

I recently bought a Kenwood sub-woofer that I want to install in my 95 Contour (beater car). It is a package unit with a built-in amp. It is a 10" diameter cylinder style unit. Installation instructions did not come with it. I'd like to connect it to my factory radio for fun. Does anyone know what wires I need and what connects to what? Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 03:19 PM

Does your sub have inputs for an rca connection? If not you will need to go to your favorite store(walmart, shucks, ect.) and pick up an amp install kit. On the electrical hookups on the sub there should be 3 of them. You are going to need one run from the positive side of you battery to your trunk(or where ever you are to put it), one will be a ground to the body where you decide to put it, and one will be a 12v source only positive when key is on(I usually go into the fuse box) Last but not least you will need to hook up some speaker wires from one of the speakers. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Just another thing to add to the last post.
Does the amplifier have RCA inputs or speaker inputs on it?
The RCA inputs will look similar to what a television would have. if it does, then you will need a line output converter (bout $20) and it will wire into the stock speaker wires and change it over to the RCA jacks to hook it all up. This can be done behind the stereo deck or back by some speakers, the choice is yours.
But the amp could also have the speaker inputs instead of the RCA jacks. Where you just run wire from the stock speakers for it. Basically wired like what I just said about the line output converter.

Brad
Old 07-24-2006, 11:27 AM

My radio is a factory original. I suspect it does not have the rca outputs. The sub has rca inputs.
What size wire for the power feed? For the ground? For the 12V source?

I bought a monster cable that I guess will be used for the speaker connections. The sales rep mentioned something about isolating the speaker wires from the power feeds. OK, but how much space is enough? I really don't want to tear out my whole interior for a couple if wires.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Your Radio SHOULD have RCA outputs , being as it is a 95 Contour, look at the back of the radio, they will most likely be the unused harness bundle.

As for Isolation..Provide as much distance from ANY power wires AND Computer wires (Clock Frequency will induce a "Whine or Buzz" from a computer)as you can..(advise running them through the right wire tunnel under the right side door / Carpet hold downs, Down the right side the car, power down the left.)

Use Shielded cable and Ground Terminate Them at ONLY one end (The audio source end) and Daisy Chain the other end shields..If you ground BOTH ends, it may ground loop on you. (Audio noise traveling up one shield and down another looking for ground).

Doc
Old 07-31-2006, 11:03 AM

OK Thanks DOC! I think I'm pickin up what you're layin' down. As soon as this heat drops off, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.