How to do two tone with straight edge - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
What about shooting the black and then an inter coat clear? Yeah, another step, but that would buy a lot of time and no clear blend line.
Intercoat would work here, it has a recoat window of 12 hours for HOK... and you can usually tape it after 30-45 minutes...

I was once a fan of intercoat... A big fan, however as time has passed, and I have learned more about products in this industry, I think it is ........ not worth the money really.. i would rather thin down some clear... allot.... then spray it instead....You could do whatever you wanted to the next day with that super thin clear, and it sands much easier than intercoat, plus there is not the added cost of intercoat... Just my 2 pints worth

Matthew

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Humm?? and the big draw back with using a clear which is cut,what,50%? would be....
I don't know myself as I've never cut any more than 20% but I'm not a big inter coat fan either. Got me to thinking anywho BK.

On this truck deal,I'd just plan on a long day and get it all on at once.
Shoot the black,mask,shoot the yellow and clear it,call it a night,color sand and clear it for good.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
BK ewwwwwwww, eeeeee, that gives me the heebee jeebees. Thinning clear a lot can cause big problems. One would be that the film of clear is too thin to protect it from solvents getting thru it when the next coats are applied. Another would be that you sand thru easier and the same thing happens.

Now, you may do it all the time, your products may not be as sensitive, the base may be catalyzed and isn't as susceptible to these problems. But some systems are, so suggesting it may cause some problems for someone.

Applying two coats of clear to protect it isn't that much film build.

Brian
Old 10-02-2005, 10:16 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Jclark, has tried this, I would say at least a 50% cut of reducer, I want to say it was a 100% cut ... You wont need much, as your using sooo much reducer, the downside... I dont see any downside.... It is an over reduced clear that is not for topcoat purpose... die back is not an issue here either,and if you are using good products that becomes less of an issue.... anyways.... You are going to scuff it in the morning and tape/stripe/re coat/ whatever... Works great, not any extra cost, and you are still using the same products so there is not a compatability problem.... Jim had major issue's with the HOK intercoat lifting his dupont base... major problems.... He went to the super reduced clear and not a problem one

Matthew
Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

OkeeDookeeDookie.
I'll give it a try. I just cleared a Tangerine Kandy panel today for some graghic practice and we'll just have a go at it.
Like you said,Just a "covering" and all it need's is a little scuff for the next round.I plan on quite a few layer's,so this will be good for the 'speriment.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

Wow

Have you ever painted anything, cause it sounds like your way lost. You might want to start out easy black is a hard color to paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.