How to do two tone with straight edge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 AM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to do two tone with straight edge

I'm planning on painting a 1994 Chevy half ton a two tone yellow/black. The body will be yellow, and everything below the main style groove on the side of the body will be black. My question is what do I need to do so that the division between the two colors is as straight and sharp as possible? Usually when you use masking tape you get a fuzzy edge and some paint always finds a way to seep under the seam. My idea was to use some pinstriping along the edge of the masking because it forms a strong bond to avoid seepage and the edge of it is pretty straight and firm. I'm wondering if this is a good idea, and if not, what is the best method to use?

Thanks - MM

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 02:27 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Have you heard of 3M green fine line tape? It's a tape that will sit tight and then come off without leaving goo behind.
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Old 09-30-2005, 05:54 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I agree with Milo, you definetly want to use fine line tape.
I use it for graphics and never had a problwm.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

3m fine line for sure.The blue tape has a very smooth edge.
The pinstripe tape may be hard to remove as it's made to stick as well as possiable lifting of the paint.
Double lay the tape for masking. Meaning,Use a 1/4" blue for the paint line then lay a wider tape overlaping the 1/4" half way for the masking paper tape.
This way,You get the paint line straight and don't run the possiability of "moving" your line while masking it out. Also give's you a smaller edge for paint build up.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Sounds good to me

Thanks guys
Old 10-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Here are a few more tips;

1. Whether you use the green Fine line (better for long straight lines) or you use the blue Fine Line (more flexable and better for curves) don't stretch it out! If you stretch it, it will shrink back later and pull up from the edge. After you lay it down, take the back of your fingernail and press it down good. It will kinda change color, darken, when it is pressed down firm. BE SURE YOU DO THIS or it will let paint under the edge.

2. After you run your fine line tape on the edge of your second color, don't start your masking by taping over the fine line tape. Instead start just below it a half inch or so. At that point, go ahead and cover with paper or plastic all you plan on protecting. Now, your whole truck is taped up and there is a half inch gap between the masking papers last tape and your fine line on the edge of where you are going to paint your last color. Bridge those two with a 3/4inch regular masking tape.

The reason for doing this is that after you paint the clear you can pull up this 3/4" tape and then pull up the fine line BEFORE the clear is dry. The edge of the clear will flow over the edge of the base coat and leave a nice soft edge.

3. To lay a long, straight line, don't tape it a little at a time. Tape the front of the line over the adjacent panel a few inches, pull the tape off the roll walking back to the other end of the panel and put a LITTLE tension on the tape to keep it straight. Eye down the tape like a rifle of a gun. Then lay the tape all the way at the begining from the other end of the panel holding the tape roll out off the panel. When you have laid it down the whole length of the panel you will then be onto the next panel with your tape pulled out off the roll. You can continue or, cut it off at the end of the panel and do the same thing over again on the next panel. You aren't laying it all at once understand, you can hold the tape roll up high and only let the tape hit the panel as it is in the right position, just aim it like a rifle. I hope this makes some kind of sense.

4. DO NOT pile on the paint and clear. This is a death sentence for a tape edge. Take it easy, a few coats of reasonable flat clear is plenty to cut and buff. As long as you don't go nuts on the cutting, you will have the 2-3 mils recommended by most manufacturers.

Brian

Hey, this would be a good "tip of the day".

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-01-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

In addition to the great advice already offered, I think jobs with taped off divisions in the basecoat, whether they be a simple two-tone or a more complex graphics scheme, can really benefit from the clear, wait, color sand and re-clear procedure. That method will go a long way toward smoothing out the line(s) and make the job look really nice!

Also, many artisans like to have a contrasting pinstriped line right over the tape line. This takes some of the pressure off the masker needing to make a perfect edge, and can also look stunning if the right color combo is used. I've seen this done before the clear goes on on it seems to work fine, though there have been reports of wrinkling along the hand painted line. A knowledgeable stiriper should be used, since there are additives for the stripe paint that make that less likely.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

So, let me get this straight...

I paint the whole truck yellow first, including the clear coat, wait until it dries, mask off all but the black area with the above method described, then paint the black and the clear, un-mask and blend the two edges together with cutting and polishing. Or, am I supposed to sand the black into the existing clear first, then re-clear the whole thing?

Would it not work to paint just the yellow basecoat, mask off and paint the black basecoat, then clear the whole thing? That seems easier, but of course I would have to worry about the clear adhering to an already dry basecoat, not to mention the possibility of the tape ripping off some of the basecoat when I remove it.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:36 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Yes,you can mask on the base and then clear both at the same time it is common. Check this read... http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthr...5&page=1&pp=10
Old 10-01-2005, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

And Jon censored Randy's email address for "advertising", geeeez. Milo, you do this all the time, you don't say anything, just post a link to this a2z forum you are involved with. Why not just copy and past what ever is relevant to this discussion?

Maggot, yes you can apply the base, then the other color then clear the whole thing. But I have to tell you, the base without any clear on it is pretty vunerable to just about anything. It is VERY easy to mark it or scrath it without the clears protection. You also have the recoat window to be concerned with.

I recommend, just for simplicity, shoot the base, the clear and then shoot the second color and clear. Run a tape or paint stripe down the edge after cutting and buffing and you will hardly notice the line.

Brian
Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

With a base clear, two tone could be normally done in one day. I would spray whatever color was easiest to mask off first spraying past where it will be taped, then tape off that color and spray the second. But with you spraying yellow which is often a poor covering color, and spraying it over black would probably be tough, If you did it that way I think I would spray the yellow first, tape up, then the black. Then once the two base colors are sprayed, just clear the whole thing and the clear should bury the tape line, but since your putting on a stripe that wouldn't really matter much.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:39 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Sorry man ,,It's true I do it all the time. 24/7/365..I never stop painting..ever lol. I'm even between coats now.. I was linking to a thread that had a 2 tone project that was based in stages and cleared all at once, to
put it into words... pictures always help..

Last edited by milo; 10-01-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

Almost ten PM on a Saturday night and your painting a car? You need a life guy. And I thought I was bad being on the net at this time of the night.

Brian
Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Would that 3M stuff tear off the base color when I remove it? I would prefer not to use a pinstripe over the tape line because it's possible you will see the edge of the pinstripe even under the clear.

Oh yeah, I have been caught grinding heads alone in my warehouse at 1 AM on a Saturday night on a few occasions, so you guys are not alone. The thing is, I'm a 22 year old single guy...
Old 10-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

As long as you remove the tape shortly after the paint flash's. Letting it dry out can cause lifting occasionaly. Just pull the tape ahead and away from the color so's it has a shearing action. Pulling it over the color can cause the base color to lift on ya.

What about shooting the black and then an inter coat clear? Yeah, another step, but that would buy a lot of time and no clear blend line.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.