Hot Rod Forum banner

How do you build a trunk lid interior panel

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
If anyone could help I would like to know how you would go about building a panel for the inside of a trunk lid, preferably one that has a large curve in it. What materials do you use and how to do hold the curve so it can be upholstered.

Thanks

#2 ·
I would use black waterboard for this application. It bends easily and would more than hold up. Also: ABS and PVC foamboard (1/8" thick) will bend and form nicely if heat is applied to them. (Black waterboard is far less expensive, though.) Make sure the bend, (or curve, whatever you want to call it) is more severe than the curve of the trunk lid, so that when the panel is attached it spreads out, not curves in and gets wrinkled up. (Is that last sentence as clear as mud? Sorry.)
Good luck.

#3 ·
I'm sorry, I left out this part. (sometimes my mind gets way ahead of what I want to say) Curve the panel ahead of time by cutting a slightly oversized blank to form to the shape you want (form it around a large curved surface (55 gallon drum?).) Black waterboard would not require heat to form it, and curves very easily, so it would be a lot easier to use. This is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE, not Gospel According To Dan. Good luck.

#4 ·
Still have some questions

So if I use the waterboard and preshape it, I will then fit it back to the decklid trim the excess and mark locations for fasteners correct? Should I use a spring type clip and then cover the whole board in 1/8 Landau foam to cover the clips and then upholster or is there a better way to attach clips and upholster. Also when I go to upholster the piece I will need to glue the entire surface as opposed to wrapping it around without glue on the face, like you would a flat panel, right? Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for your help

#5 ·
Hooligan: Make a pattern to fit where you want it out of something pliable, and drill the holes for the clips. Check out a thread called "interior panels" that's on the interiors bulletin board right now regarding making and attaching panels. I use Au-ve-co long offset clips, #10780. The best way to do this would be to take the trunk deck off and do it upside down. It would be a lot easier that way. Can you do that with your car? If you use 1/8" closed cell foam (landau top foam) to pad the panel, you might want to double up on the panel board so the clips don't show through the finished panel. In other words, the inside panel next to the trunk lid has the holes for the clips, and you put another layer on top of it, making it 1/4" thick. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.