Hot Rod Forum banner

how do you check tie rod ends?

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rlb3 
#1 ·
how do you check which tie rod end is worn?

I have both of my front wheels off the ground and when I grab the tire at the 9 and 3. o'clock position I can move it in and out a good bit :( . I know at least one of my tie rod ends need replaced I just don't know how to tell which ones :confused: . Any help would be great. :thumbup:

#3 ·
you can't check front end parts without another person watching or personally pushing up at the tie rod ends. Checking the way you described will include any looseness in the idler arm, centerlink, steering gear, and pitman arm. good luck.

rlb3 said:

I have both of my front wheels off the ground and when I grab the tire at the 9 and 3. o'clock position I can move it in and out a good bit :( . I know at least one of my tie rod ends need replaced I just don't know how to tell which ones :confused: . Any help would be great. :thumbup:

#6 ·
Can you get under the car and move the wheel from the inside? You should be able to see where the 'play' is

I don't mean move the steering wheel. I mean move the wheel by hand under the car where you can see with your eyes where most of the play is coming from. It's not that novel of an idea. I don't know why that other poster is beng such a D

#7 ·
The best way - IMO - and what I've used for over 50 years

Have one person in the driver's seat, column unlocked, move the steering wheel through an arc of a few degrees back and forth. The engine does not have to be running

The second person is on the ground, wrapping his hand around the tie rod end/nut assembly and steering arm while the steering wheel is being moved back and forth. There will be a very slight amount of movement with a good end, a bunch more if it is sloppy or you can actually see movement. If the rubber boot is missing, torn or even moves, I always consider the rod end as 'gone'. For most vehicles, they are too inexpensive to not consider changing them out if there is any doubt. Also, the ball joints and in some cases drag links and possibly king pins should be inspected at this time.

Whatever gets changed out - a front end alignment will also be necessary afterwards

#8 ·
Guilty! Sorry Streetbruiser, I apologize for the ********** reply. I was really wanted a picture of you checking a tie rod end the way I read it. ;)

streetbruiser said:
Can you get under the car and move the wheel from the inside? You should be able to see where the 'play' is

I don't mean move the steering wheel. I mean move the wheel by hand under the car where you can see with your eyes where most of the play is coming from. It's not that novel of an idea. I don't know why that other poster is beng such a D

#9 ·
rlb3 said:

We generally use 2 people. If you turn the wheel all the way out so you can see the outer it will generally be obvious if that is the issue. The wheel will be able to move without the rest of the tie rod moving. If you are working by yourself, turning the wheel all the way and locking it on some vehicles will isolate the tie rods for checking.

What kind of vehicle is it.

#10 ·
T-bucket23 said:
We generally use 2 people. If you turn the wheel all the way out so you can see the outer it will generally be obvious if that is the issue. The wheel will be able to move without the rest of the tie rod moving. If you are working by yourself, turning the wheel all the way and locking it on some vehicles will isolate the tie rods for checking.

What kind of vehicle is it.
It is a 91 chevy c1500, and I have all ready changed the idler arm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.